DaVinci Resolve Forum
Proper Way to resize 16:9 footage to 2.35:1 in Resolve
Proper Way to resize 16:9 footage to 2.35:1 in Resolve
by Sam Caino on Jan 19, 2020 at 7:54:42 am

Hi Folks, looking for some help...

I've got footage shot at 3200x1800 (16x9) and we're editing in Premiere in a 3200x1340 (2.35:1) sequence. Footage was framed in-camera for 2.35 so the top and bottom simply automatically get cropped when I drop the clip into the sequence.

When I create an xml of the sequence and import it into Resolve, the sequence is 2.35, but the footage is still 16x9. There are black bars on the left and right of the frame. So... what's the proper way to adjust the footage in Resolve so it fills the frame without losing quality?

My concern is that zooming it to 1.34 in the Transform Settings is effectively blowing it up and losing quality, as would be using the "fill" setting under Retime and Scaling. What about the 'Crop' setting in Retime and Scaling? Is that what I'm looking for? Am I on the right track here?

Re: Proper Way to resize 16:9 footage to 2.35:1 in Resolve
by David Baud on Jan 19, 2020 at 7:38:29 pm

I am curious, which camera gives you 3200 x 1800 frame size file?

Regarding workflow, in general you are better off sticking to frame size standard (HD, 2K, 4K, etc...) because of compatibility issues with software and hardware.
For your delivery master files, depending on your medium target (broadcast, DCP, Youtube, etc...), you might be better off using common file standard and using cropping to achieve your desired frame aspect ratio.

In Resolve, I usually conform in the edit page using the Movie inspector panel to fill accordingly my frame.
I use the Output blanking from the Timeline menu to define the aspect ratio (letterbox settings)

If you don't want to upscale any footage, make sure you define your Project setting, under Master setting accordingly to your maximum frame resolution. In Resolve you can always override these settings when creating your master in the delivery page, except it might affects any transformation you might apply on your shots.

Hope this help,

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
www.kosmos-productions.com

by Tero Ahlfors on Jan 19, 2020 at 8:28:36 pm

[David Baud] "I am curious, which camera gives you 3200 x 1800 frame size file?"

Arri Alexa

by Sam Caino on Jan 19, 2020 at 8:44:47 pm

Correct.

by Marc Wielage on Jan 21, 2020 at 5:03:04 am

[Sam Caino] "My concern is that zooming it to 1.34 in the Transform Settings is effectively blowing it up and losing quality, as would be using the "fill" setting under Retime and Scaling. What about the 'Crop' setting in Retime and Scaling? Is that what I'm looking for? Am I on the right track here?"
Cropping would be a better choice. It always helps to use a framing chart on set so that you know in post that you're seeing exactly what the DP and director intended to be seen.

by Eric Santiago on Jan 21, 2020 at 2:03:22 pm

Sometimes you have to scale and hope for the best.
I've had the pleasure of viewing one doc that was scaled from every which way :P
The local movie theater let us view a BD version and one-off a laptop.
Even though it was HD and they had Barcos that can do 2K, we found a few clips that were not going to work.
Now I wish we had an option like that for everything we do.

Isn't your starting point decent and above 2K?

© CreativeCOW.net