DaVinci Resolve Forum
Using De-Flicker Filter for NTSC/PAL Problem
Using De-Flicker Filter for NTSC/PAL Problem
by Sascha Engel on Dec 6, 2019 at 1:26:38 pm

Hi,

Following problem:
I got rushes shot in PAL settings of the camera (25p, UHD in VLog).
The film was shot in the US, so with frequency of the lights there.
Since it's shot in PAL, I have a slight flicker travelling through the image.

Wich De-Flicker settings of the OFX would you recommend to tackle the flicker the most efficient,
without compromising image sharpness too much and getting ghosting?

Best,

Sascha

Re: Using De-Flicker Filter for NTSC/PAL Problem
by Marc Wielage on Dec 9, 2019 at 5:06:03 am

These are tough problems to solve, but the Advanced Settings of Deflicker may help to a point. This is the kind of thing that you're better off fixing there on set instead of in post: there are often prices to pay with processing like Deflicker.

by Sascha Engel on Dec 9, 2019 at 11:08:25 am

Hi Marc,

I am honestly always a little confused by this kind of answers:
Yes, I do know, that it was supposed to be shot different.
What exactly does that tip help me when I am facing this kind of rushes?
It's a little bit like coming to a traffic accident and telling the bike driver bleeding on the floor:
You know, you should wear a helmet.
True, but rather not helpful in the situation.

The De-Flicker filter exist to deal with problems, that were made during principle photography.

Life is "Fauda", so is film making...things don't go perfect, not even on the biggest sets.
Part of us post people, is to fix it & deal with it.

Regarding Advanced Settings: Yes, I figured that as well, since the other options are Timelapse and Neon Light.
Also, that tweaking those will give the best result is something, that I was able to conclude on my own.
I simply asked, wether somebody dealt with similar situation and can share his settings.

That's it. Very simple.

Best,

Sascha Engel

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN Studio
www.kinokitchen.co.il
www.youtube.com/taikang

by Marc Wielage on Dec 9, 2019 at 12:19:06 pm

I can't tell you if it'll work or not without seeing the actual material. Try it and see. Often, confining the deflickering to one area will help. But the reality is that if there's a lot of movement in the material (particularly camera movement), it can affect the results and create a lot of artifacts.

I just had a case on a recent project last week that took me 20 minutes to figure out a combination of settings that eliminated 90% of the flicker but caused no artifacts. But it took me about 10 tries before I hit on the method. Keyframes helped. Confining the area (with Advanced Settings) helped. Comparing the various Deflicker modes helped. But my situation isn't your situation. There are no rules -- just hard work and experimentation.

by Sascha Engel on Dec 9, 2019 at 12:25:07 pm

Hi Marc,

thanx. Yes, that was what I was afraid of: Tons of time consuming tweaking.
Did try the flicker free OFX by Boris.
It seems already to do a better job than the standard DVR OFX.
I heard also that the Flicker Free OFX from Digital Anarchy should be very good.

Best,

Sascha

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN Studio
www.kinokitchen.co.il
www.youtube.com/taikang

by Michael Gissing on Dec 9, 2019 at 10:48:57 pm

I've got both Boris CC & Flicker Free (Digital Anarchy). Comparing the built in Resolve to those two and I find the Flicker Free does the best job. Slow to render but I think it is a better effect.

Lighting flicker is always a push for any deflicker with ghosting or weirdness. On one shot I found I used a power window mask to split the flicker processing as the foreground flicker was less than the background so a tracked mask helped to apply two different levels of processing

© CreativeCOW.net