DaVinci Resolve Forum
Resolve 16 Deliver to H.264 stops in middle
Resolve 16 Deliver to H.264 stops in middle
by Peter Robertson on Nov 27, 2019 at 8:09:05 pm

Hi
I have a complex multicam project using original camera codecs.
I have all my media on SSD's with enough free space and have a new iMac.
The edit went ok but the delivery to H.264 Master stops after about 20 minutes of content.
I am working with Resolve Studio 16. Will I have to split my project up into smaller sections?
In fact Resolve freezes (crashes) and does not respond. Have to do a "force quit"
Many thanks
Peter

Re: Resolve 16 Deliver to H.264 stops in middle
by Michael Gissing on Nov 28, 2019 at 1:59:27 am

Can you render it to any other codec like DNx? Where are you rendering the H264 to. Is it a thumb drive with a format that limits file sizes to 4gig?

If you can get it to render to another codec, then use that file to make the h264

by Pat Horridge on Nov 28, 2019 at 9:16:04 am

What file system (format) is the destination drive?
I suspect you output H264 maybe exceeding the max file size if your drive is FAT32

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

by Marc Wielage on Dec 3, 2019 at 4:30:39 am

[Peter Robertson] "I have a complex multicam project using original camera codecs.
I have all my media on SSD's with enough free space and have a new iMac. The edit went ok but the delivery to H.264 Master stops after about 20 minutes of content."

Cheap workaround: render to a mezzanine format like ProRes 422 or 422HQ, then take the completed 422 file and render that to H.264 in a separate session. See if that works.

Worst case: use a 3rd-party free app like Handbreak to convert the ProRes to H.264, or a paid app like Adobe Media Encoder.

I have been successful rendering out H.264 from Resolve 16, but it is slow and I generally have to drop the render speed. But I have not tried it with a super-long project like a 2-hour feature or something. Generally when I post client previews to Frame.io, I use ProRes LT and let the website do its own compression thing. If the client wants the original LT file, they can download that, too.

by Peter Robertson on Dec 3, 2019 at 6:53:41 am

Thanks to all for your help.
I resolved the problem by rendering simply in Quicktime H.264.
Actually I think the problem was that Resolve 16 crashed, which on this project (and with my iMac) occurred a few times.
Many thanks
Peter

© CreativeCOW.net