DaVinci Resolve Forum
Vertical black bars messing with transitions
Vertical black bars messing with transitions
by Sue Ellen Daniels on Jul 25, 2019 at 4:22:14 pm

I have many old reel to reel family films that I have digitized and would like to make a bit more interesting for my kids/grandkids. I have been using iMovie, but find it somewhat limiting, so have switched to Resolve. My problem is the aspect ration (4:3) and the black bars that appear in Resolve. I have accepted the bars, as I don't want to destroy or clip any of the footage. However, the black bars are messing with the transitions, which is not acceptable. I did not have this problem with iMovie. I have played with the image settings as well as the NTSC, but nothing I have found will solve this problem.

Is there a solution?

Dumbfounded.

Re: Vertical black bars messing with transitions
by Joseph Owens on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:31:06 pm

[Sue Ellen Daniels] "I have played with the image settings as well as the NTSC, but nothing I have found will solve this problem. "

You are not getting the answers you wanted from the BlackMagic forum?

First of all, not sure why you have a cropping and aspect ratio problem. If the originals are all SD-NTSC, for example, why are you not working in that aspect ratio, resolution and pixel aspect ratio so that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the clip material and the timeline settings?

If you need to fit the final 4x3 within a 16x9 display format (I suspect this is at the core of your situation) then there are ways to either mask or "blank" your active picture area for a consistent letter/pillar-box.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

by Sue Ellen Daniels on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:51:59 pm

Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, I am working in the correct SD-NTSC with the correct resolution and pixel size. I am trying hard to understand this stuff, but do think I figured that out, although not at first. Yes, I do believe my problem is working with the 4x3 in a 16x9 display format. I did but on output blanking at 1.33, but it did not change my image on screen at all. Perhaps my problem will be resolved when I output it?

Is there another way? Masking?

Thanks again,
Sue

Oh, I do love the forum, but like as much advice as I can get, would drive my bosses crazy at work. 😏

by Robert Withers on Jul 26, 2019 at 3:13:17 pm

Hello Sue,
I'm interested in your issue because I plan to digitize a bunch of Super-8 films. I assumed I would have to live with black "pillar boxing" bars on the sides of the screens because I'll want to footage distributable in HD. Are these the black bars you are talking about? I don't understand "output blanking at 1.33," -- what's that?

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

by Sue Ellen Daniels on Jul 26, 2019 at 9:44:11 pm

Robert,
I found that I was able to get rid of the vertical black lines by starting my project over and setting the master setting timeline resolution at 720x480 NTSC DV. My oldest film is 75 years old, so the preferred quality will never be there. When clicking the media attributes, the SD ration was listed at 4:3 which is the same as 1.333. Output blanking can be found under Timeline and clicking on it will bring up options for the different ratios, one of which is 1.333. It did not seem to make a difference for me. However, after setting the new resolution, there was still a very small box around my images. If you go to the color page, and click the icon "sizing", blanking will again come up. Also, a resizing option box will appear. I slightly adjusted the height and width and that has seemed to take care of my problem completely. From the Blackmagic forum:

"You can use output blanking, which adds the generated black bars on top of all of the images and will cover spatial extents that do not contain any useful image information.
You can use a preset or adjust this by hand in the Output Blanking mode of the Sizing pallet in the Color page.
Assuming that you are working in a 16x9 aspect ratio timeline with the 4:3 images the appropriate output blanking preset would be 1.33 (4/3≈1.333).
You can also work in a timeline that is set to the same aspect ratio as you original sources 1440x1080 if the HD-like resolution is the aim here but it would have to be rendered out at the same resolution in the end."

Computer language as well as editing terms are all foreign to me, so I am learning slowly myself. There is still much that I don't understand, that I would like to. Hope this will help you.
Sue

© CreativeCOW.net