DaVinci Resolve Forum
Project settings questions
Project settings questions
by Kenneth Maultsby on Jul 19, 2019 at 8:15:26 pm

Hello, everyone, I need some advice on project settings. I am still a novice with DR but learning quickly. On our last trip my wife and recorded videos on our smartphones at 3840x2160 @ 29.97. I also record video on my Sony camcorder at 1920x1080 @ 29.97. I say about a fifty-fifty split. What should I set my Timeline resolution and video monitoring video format? I would like the final output to be HD to distribute to friends who were on the trip with us.

Re: Project settings questions
by Joseph Owens on Jul 19, 2019 at 10:23:52 pm

[Kenneth Maultsby] " I would like the final output to be HD to distribute to friends who were on the trip with us."

May as well just down-scale the UHD to HD from the get-go if your intended output is 108029.97.

Does the camcorder record interlaced or progressive @29.97? Smartphone will be (?!) progressive, and may not be Constant Frame Rate or may even be 30.000P.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

by Kenneth Maultsby on Jul 20, 2019 at 6:08:56 am

The Sony records interlace. I just purchase a Camon GX10 4K camcorder which will record in progressive for future projects.

by Marc Wielage on Jul 20, 2019 at 3:30:03 am

Smartphones are bad choices for editing, because they often run at variable speed, which is problematic for editing. Get an app and convert it to a usable constant-frame format like DNxHR or ProRes, and you'll be a lot better off.

If this is just basically home movies, I'd say go with 29.97 HD and keep it simple.

by Kenneth Maultsby on Jul 20, 2019 at 6:11:22 am

Windows show that it is an MPEG4 file should I still convert it?

by Joseph Owens on Jul 22, 2019 at 2:09:06 pm

[Kenneth Maultsby] "t is an MPEG4 file should I still convert it?"

The codec is not the issue, the frame rate and raster structure (interlaced/segmented or progressive) is.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

by Robert Withers on Jul 26, 2019 at 3:20:03 pm

Like Marc Wielage said. Transcode the phone footage to establish new footage with a constant frame rate. You could possibly transcode to the codec the Sony shot, or both to a standard mezzanine editing codec like ProRes or DNxHR. Phone footage works fine in movies but you have to transcode it unless you shot with a certain special movie app.

Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

by Kenneth Maultsby on Jul 26, 2019 at 4:44:43 pm

Thank you all.

© CreativeCOW.net