DaVinci Resolve Forum
Davinci Resolve 15 - Video exported with alpha has jagged black strokes around images (pics attached) ...
Davinci Resolve 15 - Video exported with alpha has jagged black strokes around images (pics attached) ...
by Chris Simeone on Jan 24, 2019 at 4:51:13 am

I am trying to use a video clip in a DaVinci Resolve 15 project that I created and exported with alpha transparency using DaVinci Resolve 15.

The video clip shows several YouTube icons (TIFF files) for liking, sharing, etc.

The icons, which I created and exported as TIFF files with Gimp, have transparent backgrounds.

I want reuse this video clip as a transparent overlay at the end of [b][u]all[/u][/b] my social media videos.

However, each icon has a jagged black stroke around it (as seen in the image below), [b][u]but only[/u][/b] when I import the alpha transparency video into another DaVinci Resolve 15 project.

I have verified that the TIFF files do not have jagged black strokes.

And if I import the TIFF files directly into my video projects, they do not have the jagged black strokes.

Only when I try to use the icon video (that was exported with alpha transparency) as a layer/track in my other projects, do I see the jagged black strokes around the icons.

I have spent hours trying different render settings with no luck.

The video with the alpha transparency was renders as follows ...

Does anyone know how to stop the black halo/stroke on a video exported with alpha?

Thanks,
Chris S.

Re: Davinci Resolve 15 - Video exported with alpha has jagged black strokes around images (pics attached) ...
by Marc Wielage on Jan 25, 2019 at 6:01:14 am

What happens if you check the pre-multiplied settings on Clip Attributes for the file?

I have used ProRes 444 files before and generally had no problems with Alpha layers.

Re: Davinci Resolve 15 - Video exported with alpha has jagged black strokes around images (pics attached) ...
by Sebastian Leitner on Feb 3, 2019 at 12:29:17 pm

yes, this is a known problem of resolve's latest instalment. so far, nobody knows wha exactly. even with prores444 it happens some times – i found that the best results are with cineform. alpha processing seems to be broken somehow. try PNGs instead just for testing.

by Sabri Liefert on May 4, 2020 at 6:09:13 pm

I ran into the same problem with bringing an animation from After Effects to Resolve 16.2.1
Black edges arround text and logos.

I tried png, tiff, mov(animation) all with the same result.

Is it really possible that BM doesn´t adress this error for over a year???

My workflow is totally broke and i need to finish a project now.

by Michael Gissing on May 4, 2020 at 10:17:54 pm

I've not had the same issue except for problems with DNx alpha which caused jaggies. If you are having that with png and other codecs, check that you have the right alpha settings on the clips. They may need to be changed from straight to premultiplied. Worth checking those settings.

© CreativeCOW.net