DaVinci Resolve Forum
"Failed to intialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What does that mean?
"Failed to intialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What does that mean?
by Robert Ruffo on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:33:18 am

When opening DaVinci 10, I get each time following error message: "Failed to intialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What does that mean?

Mac Pro 2012 12 core 12 Gig RAM

MacVidCards GTX 570 2.5GB RAM

Decklink HD + latest dirvers

I tihnk latest CUDA and latest GTX drivers (although 570 is not listed on NVidia site for Mac - so I hope I picked the right drivers)

It was working fine, then suddenly stopped, even though nothing changed (except quitting and restarting Resolve, just before problem first appeared) . Now it plays super slow, and there are black frames in Red footage

I restarted, no avail.

I know all the obvious stuff, like setting debayer to lower res, and anyway none of those setting changed since everything was working fine

Do I need a cold boot?

Re: "Failed to intialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What does that mean?
by Peter Chamberlain on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:29:17 am

Hi Robert, do you have multiple Resolve apps on the machine? I recall this error shows when users try switching between versions of Resolve without doing a full install each time.... just editing application names is not recommended. If this is not the case then please grab logs using 'Capturelog' and post a link so someone can review.
Peter

Re: "Failed to intialize RED Decoder with the configured number of decoders" What does that mean?
by Robert Ruffo on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:04:22 pm

Thanks Peter!

I'll do that when I have a chance. I figured out that if I delete all the cache files the problem goes away, and that the problem only occurs when I use rendered previews of one or more clips. Problem being: That warning. Very slow loading of projects list upon opening. Very slow playback.

It would be great if

A) Resolve had a 'Purge Cache" function, that could automatically purge upon quit of the user desires, and rendered clips were written over after a change (as it is now it tends to fill a hard driveā€¦)

B) Rendered clips were persistent/reloaded between sessions. Not sure why that is not the case, or who would consider it better to re-render all previews every time they load a session. On a feature film it can become a big deal.

Another strange behavior is that of I use a GTX 570 for both GUI and render (as I will do if I am switching quickly between Resolve and Premiere) even if I check on "Use Gui For Compute" it gives me a non-realtime warning - even though in the end it works fine. (Second GUI card is tiny card only for Gui (Gt130)

by Alexandre Azinheira on Oct 23, 2014 at 6:28:54 pm

Hi Robert, can you please tell me where do I delete the cache files?
Thanx

© CreativeCOW.net