DaVinci Resolve Forum
Custom control surfaces
Custom control surfaces
by Brendon Rathbone on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:39:06 am

I was just reading about someone looking to build their own tactile surfaces for other applications and thought I'd check your guys opinions on whether this might be possible for Resolve. One of the posts recommended this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CZ0RJC/

Is that possible to tune to resolve or is there limitations on the Black Magic end?

Re: Custom control surfaces
by Joseph Owens on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:48:28 pm

At last count, there are three surfaces that work; DaVinci's dedicated set, the Artist, and the Tangent Wave.

So, in short, the history so far is that a vast array of commercial surfaces that are already out there are not supported, and unlikely to be, let alone a DIY project. The interface is complicated. Even manufacturers like Tangent have made no other offerings available, even though several of us have some formerly not inexpensive panels (200-series, anyone?) and would dearly like to offset the investment with a revenue stream, because the COLOR model is running dry...

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

by Robert Houllahan on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:15:34 am

The JL-Cooper too...

There is no way to program another surface, that is done by BMD and there is no API available to someone who would want to interface a different panel.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

by Sascha Haber on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:28:25 am

And Behringer ..OMG ;)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.0.1 OSX 10.7
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB eSata 6TB
GTX 470 / GT 120
Extreme 3D+ WAVE

www.saschahaber.com

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 9, 2018 at 8:32:05 pm

There's more .....
Akai APC-40 and as of today also Arturia Beatstep based budget solutions after some hardcore development over now 3 years.
https://vimeo.com/263923897

by Kevin Rag on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:55:41 am

Holy c#@p!!! Looks great! First time hearing about this. Will have to buy this now.

K

by Eric Santiago on Apr 11, 2018 at 3:41:01 pm

If any of the above can just do the three (wish for four) wheels I am good.
I have an Artist and would like to replace it with something slimmer.
The BMD ones are still a bit pricey for my taste.

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 11, 2018 at 4:33:42 pm

??
Not sure i understand you question. The Beatstep Resolve Edition is like the bigger APC40 one of the most powerfull controllers on the market and controls more then 90-95%% of the color page.To get anywhere close on functions you need to spend thousands of EU/Dollars. Why do you think i would leave out a simple 4 wheels 😉
Think
- all primaries controls (minus the balls) on wheel/log/bars/rgb mixer pages
- all qualifiers controls
- all shapes controls
- all curves including XvsY and Custom curve points direct control
- All sizing pages and all controls in there
- Key page
- Blur/sharpen/mist page
- Noise Reduction MFX page
- 20 OFX fully mapped
- 5 custom programmable banks (16 knobs each) using just the knobs/buttons on the controller to program
- HUI mixer in fairliight page
- Super smooth JOG/SCRUB in Edit and Fairlight page

The only thing this one can not do is BALLS. For that i typicaly use a Tangent Ripple if i realy need it for just the balls control and anything else i use my APC40 (bigger brother) version. The Beatstep is more compact and compared to the APC40 only missing tracking control, and a few push button type actions but not much. Check out the instruction video on the APC40 (~1 hr long bit outdated but still good enough) which gives you an idea what these controllers do. In a week or so i will make a full video on the Beatstep.

by Marc Wielage on Apr 12, 2018 at 9:48:51 am

[Joseph Owens] "At last count, there are three surfaces that work; DaVinci's dedicated set, the Artist, and the Tangent Wave."
Don't forget the Tangent Elements and the Tangent Ripple -- both of which use the standard Tangent protocol. They all work very well.

Having just gone back to the big panels for the first time in years, I'm reminded of how well-tailored the program is to those. You can work on anything, but there's a reason the Advanced Panels are used at the big shops all over the world.

I went through the whole "MIDI / kludgy" thing with Pro Tools, and it was exhausting just trying to keep up with drivers and patches and macros and interpretations and things that would stutter and go wrong, or automation that would go south at the worst possible moment. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. These little toy boxes don't work for me. I have no problem using macro boxes -- I'm a huge fan of the programmable XKeys buttons, and the Elgato Streamdeck is very promising -- but the Midi stuff leaves me cold. The advantage of the purpose-built panels is you can develop the muscle memory required to use these surfaces quickly. And speed is the whole point. I don't have time to spend 10 minutes per shot -- we have to get through features and episodic TV very quickly. I concede there are some projects where you can spend much more time, but it's not the way I'm wired.

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 12, 2018 at 10:26:15 am

Totally agree on the big box, if you have the money go for it. I would.
Totally disagree on the midi boxes at least where its about my midi boxes. Yes 99% of them on the market are crap because people think a few macros is all you need.
Most are nothing more then simple push button devices with single action marco buttons. Mine do not fall into that category.
This is 3 years development with dedicated programming , purpose build user interaction ,etc, so no not comparable at all.
And luckily my customer feedback is the same. They are baffled , because like you they think its just a play thing, untill you actualy start using it.
Regularly get mails how it changes the way they grade. This all for the APC40 version as no experience yet on the new thingy. Will see how that goes but is differently targeted , more at portable power.
Have a few that ebayed their Tangent elements after loosing so much time on all the submenus. Or begging me to implement it also on Linux Just saying.

And lastly , keep in mind the budget and target audience. Its not big facilities, A+ level graders etc. Its for the indies, small poor freelancers that dont have tons to spend, Dit's, i have a few cinematoraphers. And what you get for it. If it was not my pet project , which i just build for myself in the end, i would have stopped long time ago. Zero profit. All time and love but i guess that makes all the difference. Payment for me is the feedback i get.

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 12, 2018 at 11:05:12 am

Toy box feature i was reminded of after seeing this wishlist thread (https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72110) 😉

https://vimeo.com/251797242

by Marc Wielage on Apr 18, 2018 at 1:08:35 am

[Glenn Venghaus] "And lastly , keep in mind the budget and target audience. Its not big facilities, A+ level graders etc. Its for the indies, small poor freelancers that dont have tons to spend..."
For those people, I'd say go and find a used set of Tangent Element panels. Huge bang for the buck, and you can do terrific work on it. Great support, very good implementation, 90% of everything you need is in there.

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 18, 2018 at 5:55:50 am

Sure. I applause options. Just providing an alternative .

For anyone who is interested what proper programming can do on a low budget alternative (and very portable in this case) have a look at the video manual i created for endusers of the new model.
https://vimeo.com/264606144

by Yoav Dagan on Jun 1, 2018 at 9:55:35 am

This is incredible!!

Do you think it can work in conjunction with MC color (Artist)? like both at the same time?

Yoav Dagan
Colourist / Onliner
TiNT Post Production
South Africa
tintpost.com

by Glenn Venghaus on Jun 1, 2018 at 10:05:40 am

Sure. You could then use the MC just for the balls en the rest from the Beatstep or APC40 controller.
I use them in combination with the Tangent Ripple for the balls. Less desk space ;-)

by Kevin Rag on Jun 2, 2018 at 5:16:38 am

Hey Glenn,
Any plans of making this work with both Resolve and PrPro? Would be great for a lot of freelancers:D

K

by Glenn Venghaus on Jun 2, 2018 at 6:19:52 am

Hi Kevin,
Nope and most of the reasons why would probably get me a ban and this forum if i mention them ☺
But the main 2 reasons are
1. As i develop purely for myself and make tools that make my work , with in this case Resolve , a happy non RSI inducing experience and as i never use or would ever use Premiere for grading or even editing at this point , there is no reason to do so. And its pure love projects as makes zero money compared to the time invested.
2. Even if i would use Premiere, as it has not a single stationary gui element that i can easily map controls to it would not work. Resolve color page is stationary for the most part and predictable for others, which premiere users with 6000 floating panels may hate but does make controllers like this posible. For premiere you would need some sort of api to adress anything.

by Kevin Rag on Jun 4, 2018 at 2:38:26 pm

Got it:) Brilliant work though.

K

by Glenn Venghaus on Jul 7, 2018 at 9:35:39 pm

Some recent updates that came in after the video and initial release:

- Dynamic Switchable and specificaly tuned Course / Fine control option for all major controls
- Direct access course and fine control for all individual X vs Y curves 6 vector points
- Multi knob at the same time adjustment possible for Primary Bars and RGB mixer
- User switchable layout (changed/optimised based on user input for several pages) preference between a LRGB vs RGBL oriented mapping.
- HUD (heads up display) available on all pages incl the 20 mapped OFX plugin pages (callable when needed by key combination)
- DR15B6 compatibility

by oskar miarka on May 30, 2018 at 11:53:31 pm

huge fan of your work mapping APC-40 for Resolve, will be reaching out soon as I've finally secured the requisite hardware (:

by Glenn Venghaus on Jun 1, 2018 at 10:08:37 am

Had already replied but for unknown reason did not pass the sensors on this site. Duhh.

Anyway, you are more then welcome. The APC40 is a wonderfull device that would get a complete new life with this kit.
I have no idea how to operate Resolve anymore without it. (Thats why i made te Beatstep for when on the move)

by Tom Matthies on Jun 4, 2018 at 5:29:14 pm

Hi Glenn
Where can I purchase a Beatstop for Resolve? I can find the "generic" version online but not the version specific for Resolve with the labeled keys.
Thanks, Tom

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

by Glenn Venghaus on Jun 4, 2018 at 7:25:32 pm

Hahaha. There is no such thing as a special Beatstep device for Resolve. Otherwise i would not have to do anything anymore right ?
Its a name i gave to my software kit.
Basically you buy a standard Arturia Beatstep (not the pro) somewhere , which is a relatively brainless midi controller, and then with my software kit (posttools.tachyon-consulting.com) you give it a lobotomy and inject scary A.I. into it. (it wil become self aware at first switch on)
And it includes label templates like you see on the picture, which you just print yourself on some shiny sticker foils , and it turns it into Resolve glitter and glamour 😉
Just pm me if you have any questions. You can find my contact details there as well.

by Glenn Venghaus on Oct 29, 2018 at 11:41:33 pm

Fyi in case you did not see it on other forums (lgg and bm) i tend to post this in , but i have a 20 % discount code TRICKTREAT2018 which is valid only till end october for all software kits for both controllers in the online shop.

by Glenn Venghaus on Nov 1, 2018 at 9:36:31 pm

As there are always people who miss a discount:
For the final time , i have extended it till monday nov 5th and to give a bit more incentives to the doubters, people that cant decide what socks to wear in the morning etc , its now a wopping 35% discount on all items in the store using code : BETTERLATETHENNEVER

Thats it.:p

by Glenn Venghaus on Nov 23, 2018 at 8:27:03 am

BLACK FRIDAY -40% deal active now !!

by Glenn Venghaus on Nov 29, 2018 at 9:24:26 pm

Soon to be released upgrade (free of course for existing customers) sneak preview. Will include an eagerly awaited and unique feature. Namely full control over the inspector tab content in the edit and fairlight pages of Resolve 15. Dynamicaly automapped and screen layout independant.
Includes also single parameter reset and course / fine control switching.

https://vimeo.com/302951035

by Glenn Venghaus on Dec 20, 2018 at 8:52:48 am

This feature is now live in v9.0 and up.
Rollout of same feature to larger brother the APC40 is in progress

p.s.f.y.i.just.in.case Holliday sales (-25%) still on till year end

by Glenn Venghaus on Jan 2, 2019 at 1:25:05 pm

https://vimeo.com/309089393

Available now on pre-order

by Glenn Venghaus on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:13:56 am

Just today only for the sake of LOVE ☺

15% discount code on all shop items : ILOOOOOOOVECONTROLLERS

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 5, 2019 at 4:58:02 pm

by Glenn Venghaus on Apr 19, 2019 at 3:53:23 pm

Happy Easter !!
(code valid till Easter Monday)

by Glenn Venghaus on Aug 27, 2019 at 7:14:16 am

Short flash sales for labor day weekend and in honour off all hard working man and women around the globe
20% off on all Davinci Resolve controller kits
Discount code : LABOR2019
Valid : Sat 31st Aug 00:00 - Mon 2nd Sept 23:59 (Amsterdam time)

by Glenn Venghaus on Aug 30, 2019 at 9:58:13 pm

Above discount code for Laborday weekend is now

© CreativeCOW.net