CoreMelt Plug-ins Forum
FCP 7 workflow slowdown due to CS Lock & Load?
FCP 7 workflow slowdown due to CS Lock & Load?
by Phil Snyder on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:18:31 pm

Hi,

I want to report a problem I encountered which I think is related to Lock & Load.
Working in FCP7 on an iMac, I was almost finished a week's worth editing a 3 minute video in DVCPROHD 1080pA24. I applied Lock & Load to stabilize about a third of the scenes. It performed that function perfectly. Then, everything slowed down. Examples: whenever I switched from viewing on the Canvas to fullscreen and back again, I got the spinning beachball for at least 25 seconds and the message, "Preparing Video for Display"; whenever I shifted a video clip in the timeline, the same thing happened. Needless to say, this made the workflow almost impossible. I checked my other FCP projects and this isn't happening.

So I did a preliminary test cutting of a few of the same scenes together into a new sequence without applying the L&L filter. There was no problem at all with the footage or the sequence responding to commands sluggishly with the spinning beachball. So it would seem that L & L is the cause. I had used L & L previously to a lesser extent on a previous project, a 20 minute film, and did notice a slight slowdown with the same "Preparing Video for Display" message but not enough to worry about. Now in a 3 minute film where I used L & L on almost half the scenes, there's a major slowdown.

Today, I did another test:
I copied the original sequence with L & L filters into a new project, removed all the Lock & Load effects. Still had the problem. Next, I took a bunch of the same scenes from my select bin, made a quick random assembly from scratch, applied L & L to about half of them and nothing bad happened. It played beautifully without any hesitation. I'm perplexed. Is this something random? Have you heard of this problem? Is there a setting that I need to adjust?

Please let me know. L & L has been a tremendous editing aid to me but this has been a real problem.

Philip

Re: FCP 7 workflow slowdown due to CS Lock & Load?
by Eberhard Ammelt on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:45:34 pm

Hello,

I'm not aware of this problem. Does it happen with Lock & Load Frames or with Lock & Load X?
When this happens, can you please analyze FCP in the activity monitor and send me the report to eberhard (at) coremelt.com?

Regards, Eberhard

by Phil Snyder on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:09:54 pm

I used both mostly X but Frames a couple of times. I'll check out the activity monitor and get back to you. What are you looking for? How much RAM is being used? FCP 7 is a 32 bit app and only uses 4 GB of RAM. I do have a total of 20 GB on my iMac.

by Eberhard Ammelt on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:18:13 pm

I'm interested in profiling FCP when the problem occurs. Please press the "Analyze Process" button to gather the profiling information.

Eberhard

© CreativeCOW.net