TV & Movie Appreciation Forum
The Irishman
The Irishman
by Mark Suszko on Dec 6, 2019 at 1:38:06 am

Martin Scorsese riffs on Coppola but with his own signature tracking shots, moody framings and music cues, and it's a delightful three hour master class on making a perfect Mob Movie. The stable of actors picked from his entire oeuvre' is a who-'s who from the genre, but here they approach the script with a craft honed by decades of work inhabiting similar characters and the maturity leads to levels of nuance that are just transcendent. Could all deeze guyz, Marty included, have done this movie as well, a decade earlier? I'd submit it still would have been good, but not *as* good. it's neat how digital makeup and de-aging can let a laster actor really show their mature talents to effect, playing a younger part with the insight of age.

It's good to see Scorsese being given his head a little more and really articulating his own vision with less interference. If Mean Streets was shorthand, this is an essay in long hand that takes all the time it needs to breathe and establish character, setting, plot. It doesn't feel like three hours. it feels like you lived the lead character's life with him.

Re: The Irishman
by Scott Roberts on Dec 6, 2019 at 6:12:47 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of the Irishman, and I normally love Scorsese. I found it kind of dry. I thought Joker was a better Scorsese movie than this. ba-dum-tssss. ☺

There were a bunch of scenes I really did like a lot, but there were 3x as many scenes that were totally forgettable. That's probably the case for a lot of movies, but when your movie is 3 and 1/2 hours, the forgettable scenes are more of note. I started watching this at 8pm one night, and with all the stopping and starting and putting my kid to bed in the middle of it, I don't think I finished it until around 1:15 AM. And I was a little tired and fatigued and possibly starting to fall asleep by the end. To be honest, I actually don't even remember the very very end.

So, maybe I didn't give it the most ideal of chances (which is my fault), but also, I have no real desire to commit another 3 and 1/2 hours to giving it a second chance (which is the film's fault).

I think this would have been a potentially amazing movie if Scorsese made it in 1992 and had Goodfellas-like focus.

The digital make-up was mostly interesting, and I look forward to seeing how that technology pans out in the future as it gets better and better. The choice to give De Niro creepy blue eyes was a bad one, though, and had shades of Johnny Depp from his mobster movie.

© CreativeCOW.net