VEGAS Pro Forum
How Do I Remove Automatic Audio Fade On Cut
How Do I Remove Automatic Audio Fade On Cut
by Sam Caino on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:51:24 pm

Every time I make a cut to an audio event, Vegas automatically adds a one frame fade on either side of the cut. How do I remove this feature?

Re: How Do I Remove Automatic Audio Fade On Cut
by Jeff Schroeder on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:23:46 pm

It should be less than a third of a frame, more like 10 milleseconds, or 1/100 of a second. It was put there as the default to reduce clicks when audio is played back. You can change this in Options|Preferences|Editing|Quick fade length for audio events (ms). I don't think you will ever notice if a quickfade is present in you work.

Jeff

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 11 x64

by Mike Kujbida on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:25:35 pm

I agree with Jeff. I've never seen any reason to change it from the default setting.

by Sam Caino on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:29:36 pm

Thank you both for your input. I never really notice it either, but I use Sony Vegas to compose music so I like to have total control.

by Larry Brewer on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:45:56 pm

Without the fade down and fade up, you would absolutely get a click at every cut. Something learned in D2 and D3 tape days. The instantaneous rise or drop at the point where two digital audio signals meet creates a transient. A better way to deal with it might be a single frame overlap at the edit point, but that's not an option in the preferences menu, so I just set the fade as short as I can and go on.

Larry Brewer

by Nat Dykeman on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:18:42 am

I make continuous mix cds. After making the continuous mix, I split the tracks up. With a fade in/out, it won't be continuous anymore.

by Richard McLean on Jun 25, 2015 at 2:46:20 pm

Under the Options Menu you can turn on and off Quickfade Audio Edits.

In Preferences, under the Edit Tab you can set the Length to as little as 1 ms.

You only get pops and clicks on edits if you aren't cutting at the zero crossing.

This is a set it and forget it thing for me, and I can never remember how to disable it when I've installed it on a new machine.

by Renato Gyuris on Dec 4, 2018 at 10:45:50 am

It's very annoying. There is always white noise in video clips and if you cut the clip you can hear the white noise disappear for 10ms or 1 ms. Maybe you can hear it only in headphones. It would be great if we can set it 0 or turn it off.

by Stephen Le Page on Mar 11, 2019 at 6:48:46 am

It would occasionally be useful for me to minimise this auto-fade down to 0 ms in order to maintain continuous audio despite splitting.
I'm doing a complicated cut of piece-to-camera narration, PC desktop recording, and other graphical overlays, enhanced with externally recorded narration. After synchronising all the clips in time, I need to group them all to keep them in sync. I then do a complicated cut of video components, requiring lots of splitting. Splitting a grouped block of files also splits my master audio narration. Mostly it is between sentences, so it's no problem, but sometimes during a complicated video edit, a split happens in the middle of important audio, and the auto-fading makes a noticeable warble in the sound. Reducing the auto-fade down to the minimum of 1 reduces the impact of this, but it's not perfect. A 0 ms auto-fade would be better when you want continuity of split audio, however, I wouldn't want to change my system setting because it is good most of the time. To work around this, I do an L-cut by ungrouping my master audio file, and either relocating the split to a nearby moment of quiet with a couple of audio trims, or delete the audio from one side of the split, and reform it by trimming from the other side of the split.

by Mike Tamura on Jan 25, 2020 at 7:22:18 pm

I'm not sure if anyone still wants this answer, but go to the Options pane>Quickfade Audio Edits, and unmark it. Any audio splits will now have no fade, unlike the 1ms solution others posted.

by Sam Caino on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:11:13 am

Wow. I posted this eight years ago! Would have been using Vegas 11, I think, at that point. I wonder if that setting was in there.

© CreativeCOW.net