VEGAS Pro Forum
How can I pan an image while a sub-layer moves in sync with it?
How can I pan an image while a sub-layer moves in sync with it?
by Geo Brick on Mar 4, 2012 at 11:25:20 pm

Here's what I'm trying to do. (using Vegas Pro 11).

I have a stitched panoramic image of a room (so it’s a very wide 360 representation of the room). I want to crop and then pan across the room using "event pan and crop". At some point during the pan you'll see a TV that's in the room. I want to have a video playing from that TV as I pan by it.

Here's what I did so far:
I used an image editor to cut the TV screen out so it's transparent. I bring the image into Vegas and set the pan and crop motion for the clip. I put the video on the next track and use pan and crop to reduce its size to fit within the transparent TV screen on the track above it. But the problem is that the video doesn't follow the panning on the primary track. The result is that it looks like the video frame is moving inside the TV.

What do I need to do to make it appear to stay in the TV screen frame? Do I need to somehow sync the motion between both tracks?

Re: How can I pan an image while a sub-layer moves in sync with it?
by Stephen Mann on Mar 5, 2012 at 3:19:13 am

The best solution is a motion-tracking plug-in from Boris Continuum (BCC7). It's also the most expensive one.
If you make the pan linear, you could get away with keyframing the position of the TV screen.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
www.mmdv.com

by Jeff Schroeder on Mar 5, 2012 at 3:51:28 am

Put the tv scene and the underlying video on child tracks and pan the parent track.

Jeff

Windows 7 64-bit, ASUS P6X58D, i7 960 3.20GHz, 24.0GB DDR3, 12TB connected storage
www.narrowroadmedia.com

by John Rofrano on Mar 5, 2012 at 7:02:10 pm

I have a tutorial on my web site to show you how to use Parent/Child as Jeff suggested:

Using Parent Motion to make a moving film strip

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasst.com

by Geo Brick on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:46:42 am

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll check out the tutorial and report back. I'll also look into the 3rd party plug-in option.

by Geo Brick on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:13:51 am

I tried the using the parent child method and I see how it would work but the result wasn't good enough because the detailed resolution of the original image gets lost. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but it has something to do with using the track motion vs at the event level.

I downloaded a trial for Boris continuum but I haven't figured out the technique. It seems I'm supposed to pick an effect that has motion track settings but I don't know what effect to pick. I don't really want an effect. I just want the video on a lower track to stay inside the transparent screen of the image on the upper track. Maybe I shouldn't use a transparent TV screen but instead, use a solid color then try the chroma key effect.

by John Rofrano on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:26:06 pm

[Geo Brick] "I tried the using the parent child method and I see how it would work but the result wasn't good enough because the detailed resolution of the original image gets lost. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but it has something to do with using the track motion vs at the event level."
You are making the image smaller to fit within the TV; therefore it's going to lose resolution. Track Motion vs Event Pan/Crop has nothing to do with the loss of resolution when making something smaller (only when making it bigger). Perhaps you're expecting too much if you think the scaled down image was going to be as clear as the original. Make sure your preview is set to "Good (Full)" before you make any quality judgements.
[Geo Brick] "I downloaded a trial for Boris continuum but I haven't figured out the technique. It seems I'm supposed to pick an effect that has motion track settings but I don't know what effect to pick"
You don't want to use the Motion Tracker, you want to use BCC Match Move. This is a 2-to-1 Transform in Vegas Pro. You apply it as a Custom compositing mode at the track level.

Watch my Boris TV episode to see how it's done:

Boris Continuum Complete Match Move in Sony Vegas Pro

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasst.com

by Geo Brick on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:30:50 pm

Thanks John.

The panoramic image is huge so I have to zoom in and then pan. The problem with the track motion happens there. The track resolution is at the project resolution so when I zoom in to the area, that image starts at the project resolution then gets worse as I zoom in. When it's done at the event level, it maintains the event resolution for the zoom and pan (or crop and pan) while the final output is maintained at the project resolution. There's a few threads out there that discuss this phenomenon.

I have seen your tutorial with the motor cycle and it had a lot of information in it but as you know, you are tracking an effect (the time warp) to the numbers or in the second case you track the blur effect to the numbers.

Essentially what I'd like to do is similar to the blur but, using your example, I'd want another video to be playing inside the area where the numbers. I'll try what you suggested.

© CreativeCOW.net