VEGAS Pro Forum
AVCHD with Sony Vegas, watch this video, you'll be suprised.
AVCHD with Sony Vegas, watch this video, you'll be suprised.
by Danny Hays on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:51:01 am

This video was shot with a Panasonic TM700 at 1080P60. I took the mative .mts file with a Sony Viao i7 laptop and placed it on the timeline in Vegas Pro 10 with a custom project setting of 1080, progressive, render quality best, de-interlace method none, frame rate 59.94 with the preview window set to Best, full. I see so many posts from people saying you can't play these files, much less edit them. I'm telling you all you can. Granted this one event without effects and that would of course drop my preview framerate, but no more that with an HDV 1080i on a dual core. This youtube video isn't even showing you how smooth it really plays as I'm playing it at 60 frames per second and youtube wont play that, but it should still show you it can be edited easily with Vegas Pro 10.
By the way, this TM700 and Sony laptop together cost approx $1700 That's less than the Sony HVR-A1 alone. An entry level Sony HDV camera like an HVR-A1 cost more than that. I have one and the video quality doesn't come close to the Tm700. Anyone want to buy a Sony HDV paper weight??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jAP9u9rbrM

Re: AVCHD with Sony Vegas, watch this video, you'll be suprised.
by Seth Estrada on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:56:20 pm

That's very encouraging. Could you upload a video of that same clip with a single cut and time offset in the middle? [I think it's the long GOP nature of this media that causes problems once you start really putting a lot of stuff on the timeline]

Idiot Savant... ok, maybe just Idiot
http://seth.savant-studios.com

by Shawn Sorrells on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:18:55 pm

Danny - I also shoot AVCHD and edit with SVP 10 with no problems. I shoot on a Sony HDR-AX2000 I purchased earlier this year. My workflow is very fast and I edit projects with multiple tracks with ease.

by Danny Hays on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:08:56 pm

Seth, I have done that with several clips. As long as I dont overlap or add effects, just splice and butt them up next to each other, they all will play as you see here. The video you see is just a small section of a larger one with the edges dragged to make it this length. My point is this is 1080 60p and it plays this smooth. Most AVCHD is 1080i, half the information and should be even easier to edit.

by Danny Hays on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:40:28 pm

Of course almost everyone has to use some effects which would slow down the preview frame rate so my workflow is to add needed effects, then turn them off while editing to get the fast preview, or edit first, then add the effects. AVCHD is where it's going so we might as well get used to it, and the image quality from the TM700 is unbeatable.

by John Rofrano on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:52:15 pm

[Danny Hays] " I took the mative .mts file with a Sony Viao i7 laptop "
What's the model number on that Sony Viao i7?
[Danny Hays] "Anyone want to buy a Sony HDV paper weight??"
If you find someone who wants two of them, let me know. I'll sell them mine too. (book-ends maybe?) ;-) I can't believe my little $700 Sony CX12 AVCHD camera takes better video than my HVR-A1U.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasst.com

by Danny Hays on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:33:13 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=vpcf13ufx&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Here's a link to where I got mine. They came down in price a little be fore being discontinued. Bummer. I have the Grey one. I'm sure you can find one somewhere though. Mine works better with Vegas than the 930 i7 desktop I built. It's amazing John.

by John Rofrano on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:44:44 am

Too bad it was discontinued but I'm surprised the Intel Core i7-740QM was good enough fro AVCHD playback. It looks like the Vaio F1390X can be configured with the same components ( Intel® Core™ i7-740QM and NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M GPU) for $699 and ever faster ones (Core™ i7-840QM and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU) for a bit more.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasst.com

by Danny Hays on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:52:24 am

(John R.) I think Vegas just runs better with certain chipsets than others, I got lucky with this computer.

by Sergio Lelevier on Jul 12, 2011 at 3:11:00 pm

How important is the speed of the video card? I've heard that it's not important and others say that you need at least 1GB.

by John Rofrano on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:36:19 pm

[Sergio Lelevier] "How important is the speed of the video card? I've heard that it's not important and others say that you need at least 1GB."
It depends on whether the application you are using will make use of the GPU for playback. Right now, Vegas Pro 10 does not so it doesn't matter what video card you have. Adobe CS5 does and they require at least 768MB of video memory.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasst.com

© CreativeCOW.net