VEGAS Pro Forum
DVD Architect not seeing my burner
DVD Architect not seeing my burner
by Dave Petteruto on May 28, 2011 at 9:02:47 pm

Hello Again, I'm trying to burn a DVD using DVD Architect Pro 5.2 and my burner (see below) is not showing up in the device list. The only option is for an ISO file.

It's a brand new computer, Windows 7 64 bit, fresh software install. On a side note the computer came with a limited version of Nero and the burner does show up in Nero.

Burner:
LG Electronics 10X Internal SATA Blu-ray Disc Rewriter WH10LS30

Thanks
Dave P.

Re: DVD Architect not seeing my burner
by Nigel O'Neill on May 29, 2011 at 12:33:54 am

Try reinstalling DVDA

Intel i7 920, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10 (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

by Dave Petteruto on May 29, 2011 at 3:15:42 pm

Hi Nigel,

I reinstalled DVDA and it still does not see the burner.

I have also discovered that Vegas 10 64bit and Vegas 7 32bit do not see the burner either. However both Vegas versions mentioned above do recognize the burner under the "Import_Camcorder DVD Disc..."

Nero and the Windows DVD burning software both see the burner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Dave

Intel I7 950, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE, Vegas Pro 10 (32bit/64bit), Windows 7 Pro 64bit, LG WH10LS30 10X Bluray Burner.

by Stephen Mann on May 29, 2011 at 8:29:47 pm

Does *windows* see the burner?
DVDA itself does not "see" hardware, but it only has access to whatever hardware that Windows can communicate with.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
www.mmdv.com

by Dave Petteruto on May 29, 2011 at 8:43:52 pm

[Stephen Mann] "Does *windows* see the burner?
DVDA itself does not "see" hardware, but it only has access to whatever hardware that Windows can communicate with."

The burner is listed as drive E. Nero and Windows DVD maker both can burn to it. It shows up in the device manager.

I checked and the burner seems to have the most recent firmware.

Very strange.

Thanks
Dave P.

Intel I7 950, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE, Vegas Pro 10 (32bit/64bit), Windows 7 Pro 64bit, LG WH10LS30 10X Bluray Burner.

by Nigel O'Neill on May 30, 2011 at 2:53:32 am

Dave

A search on Google suggests re-installing any drivers that came with the burner, but also implied that the burner was added later. You may also investigate updating the firmware on the burner itself.

I also came across this on the SCS website:

I am using a motherboard with an nForce chipset, and my Sony Creative Software program does not see my DVD or CD drive. How do I fix this?

If you are having problems with drive detection in our software, make sure you have the latest nForce chipset drivers provided by NVIDIA. Some motherboard manufacturers only provide older versions of the drivers on their own websites. Download the newest drivers directly from NVIDIA to correct the problem. If the software is still not detecting the drive please contact Customer Service for further help.

A workaround could be just to Prepare your DVD instead of trying to Burn it, then use Nero to burn the DVD using its Burn DVD Video Files function. You only need the files in the VIDEO_TS folder that DVDA creates.

Intel i7 920, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10 (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

by Stephen Crye on May 30, 2011 at 5:23:29 pm

I Had this exact problem with nearly the same exact LG Bluray burner. Below is what I finally did to fix it, along with the suggestion from Sony support that did NOT fix it. Hope this helps,

Steve

-----
First, I must complain about how ridiculously hard Sony makes the process of asking a question! Every damn time, I have to fill out this crappy form, putting in the SAME DAMN INFO that you ought to be saving in a database with my account!!! It is HORRIBLE!!! No way to just re-open a "solved" question - all I'm trying to do is provide YOU with feedback. But oh, no, Sony won't provide a "reopen" button - that would make it too easy for shmucks - er customers - to ask questions!!!

Below is the original suggestion, which does not work, not with Vegas 9.0 or 10.0, DVD arch 5.0 or 5.2.

I finally figured it out myself. All one has to do is uncheck "use legacy disk drivers".

Disgusted,

Steve

Hi Stephen,

Vegas and DVD Architect do not detect my new LG BH10LS30 drive

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. First, I apologize for the unusually long delay in responding to you. Our new Vegas Pro 10 has been well-received and as such, a high number of people are coming to us for support on this product.

Please try the following:

1. In Vegas, Navigate to Options - Preferences - CD Settings and select the option for Skip Drive Database, Auto-detect drive capabilities. Click Apply then OK. Close Vegas. Restart your system. Open Vegas again.

2. Is the drive Recognized in Vegas at this point? If it does, try the following in DVD Architect Pro 5.0

3. Navigate to Options - Preferences - General and look for the same option: Skip Drive Database, Auto-detect drive capabilities. Place a check mark next to this item and then select Apply and then OK. Close DVD Architect. Restart your system.

Please respond back with your System info if you should continue to experience problems. Please provide us with your system information to help us further research your issue.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.
Click on File > Export.
Enter a File Name and Choose your Save in Location and Click Save.
Select a destination to save the file (like your Desktop) and enter a name for the file (i.e., si.txt).

To attach a file to this incident: Scroll to the bottom of the webpage, Click "Browse", locate the file, and then click "Open”

When you are ready, select the "Submit Update to Question" button.

If you still have a follow-up question on this particular incident, please feel free to update it. If you have a completely different question, please create a new incident.

by Dave Petteruto on May 30, 2011 at 5:48:43 pm

Steve---BINGO. Unchecked "use legacy drivers"

Just for the heck of it I'm going to try the Sony suggestion you were give to see if it works for me.

Thanks
Dave P.

by Dave Petteruto on May 30, 2011 at 6:10:29 pm

Steve--FYI

[Dave Petteruto] "Just for the heck of it I'm going to try the Sony suggestion you were give to see if it works for me."

Sony's fix did not work. I put in a help ticket a couple of days ago. It will be interesting to see their suggested answer to this issue.

Thanks very much for you help Steve.

Thanks
Dave P.

by Stephen Crye on May 30, 2011 at 9:48:41 pm

Heh - glad to have helped. I agonized over this for weeks before I hit on it. Those LG burners are sweet, eh?

by Jim Crawford on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:31:45 am

This WORKED well for me. Thanks.

by Bob Qualls on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:02:45 pm

Hi Steve
I am new to this forum but I am experiencing the same problem described in this thread.
Vegas and DVD Architect do not detect my new LG BH10LS30 drive.
You say to uncheck the "use legacy disk driver"
How and where do I find this option?
thanks for any help you can provide.
Bob Q.

by James Magda on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:34:18 pm

Stephen,

I have Sony Vegas 9, 10 and DVD Architect 5.0 and I can't find a "use legacy disk drivers" check box anywhere in the preferences of any of them. Where is it?

James

by Dave Petteruto on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:50:56 am

James,

In DVDA--go to "Preferences", "Burning" tab--it should be there.

Thanks
Dave P.

by James Magda on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:23:45 am

It's not there. This is all I see:

by Dave Petteruto on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:39:49 am

James--What version of DVDA are you using? I'm using 5.2. If yours is older maybe it's not there???

Thanks
Dave P.

by James Magda on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:34:28 pm

Sony DVD Architect 5.0. Will have to check version when I get home tonight. Having the same issue of the Sony product not finding my CD/DVD/BD LG burners in my Sony Movie Studio HD 10.0, also, if you could help with that.

by Dave Petteruto on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:07:16 am

James,
I have DVDA 5.0b on another computer and the burning tab looks the same as your screen shot. On my other computer with DVDA version 5.2 is where I have the Legacy driver choice. I'm thinking the older version (5.0) doesn't give you the option with the Legacy drivers (unless it's hidden somewhere else) so you may need to update your DVDA. As far as Sony Movie Studio---I don't have it so I can't help you with that one--sorry.

Thanks
Dave P.

by James Magda on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:36:35 am

Dave,

Your're right; it was the version. I updated to DVD Architect 5.0 (Build 150) and the legacy drivers check box is now there. Thanks.

James

by Dave Petteruto on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:35:42 am

No problem James--glad I could help you out. Happy editing!

Thanks
Dave P.

by Joseph Tessier on Jul 23, 2012 at 9:35:06 pm

[Stephen Crye] "I finally figured it out myself. All one has to do is uncheck "use legacy disk drivers"."

Stephen, I've puzzled over this but your post is all I needed. Thanks!

J. Paul

System Specs: I7 3.4 Ghz Quad Core 16GB Ram Win 7 Home Prem x64 VegasPro 11 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550

by Greg Maloney on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:17:23 pm

I realize this is a little after the fact but I had the exact same problem and wanted to thank everyone for the tips.

I was not able to use the "uncheck Use Legacy Drivers" fix because I am unable to update to a DVD Architect Pro version with that option. I did fix my problem by plugging in my SATA BD-ROM into a SATA II port on my Motherboard instead of SATA III. I know there are a lot of settings in between but if people are looking for another troubleshooting option I'd look at your SATA ports and what modes they are set to (AHCI/IDE).

Hope this helps someone.

by I.G. Romov on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:08:42 pm

@Crye Shows to go even though the Inet is filled with old and largely useless info, archives can be useful and important as your post solved exactly the same problem. Given the time span, it really does again offer support for the disconcerting question: does SCS really support product? Listen to customers? Anyway, thanks for your efforts on determining a true resolution to the problem.

by Trudi Mowll on May 1, 2015 at 9:07:05 am

I tuned off legacy and worked properly straight away - thanks!

by Onemena Ofurhie on Mar 8, 2014 at 9:27:09 pm

I had a similar problem where DVDA failed to recognize my DVD Burner. This was strange considering I had already burnt a DVD 2 hours before with no problem.

After reading this thread I found the "Use Legacy Drivers" button and mine was checked. So when I decided to Uncheck it, DVDA then recognized my DVD Burner.

It's confusing how the solution is the opposite of what others suggested but it was what worked for me.

by Jorma Nippala on May 1, 2015 at 9:50:40 am

[Onemena Ofurhie] "It's confusing how the solution is the opposite of what others suggested but it was what worked for me."

I guess that's why it is an option.

© CreativeCOW.net