VEGAS Pro Forum
4K in Vegas Pro 12
4K in Vegas Pro 12
by Randy Brown on Dec 25, 2019 at 2:59:17 pm

Hi all,
I broke down and bought a Sony FDR-AX53 to do 4K.
I didn't see a 4K template in Vegas so before dragging to the timeline I went to properties and showed Vegas the resolution (by clicking on one of the clips) and it correctly identified the size but when dragged to the timeline it seems to think it's smaller as it looks zoomed on the display.
It's an easy enough fix by using track motion to zoom out to the full frame but I'd like to know if there's a better way of going about this.
Thanks very much,
Randy

Re: 4K in Vegas Pro 12
by Francois Pénzes on Dec 28, 2019 at 1:23:44 pm

Hi Randy

Instead of using the Track Motion feature (it will adversely affect the final result) after importing your clip in the timeline, right click in the Preview Window and select as per pic below.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

by Randy Brown on Dec 28, 2019 at 2:05:05 pm

Thanks so much Francois, that is exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks again,
Randy

by Randy Brown on Dec 30, 2019 at 5:37:55 pm

I just finished a project and have another question.
As per your suggestion the preview window shows the clips fully but the resolution is horrible and lots dropouts occur on previewing transitions/dissolves and have to be pre-rendered to make sure they're going to work.
Any suggestions or is it simply time to update my old AMD Radeon HD 6900 series card?
Thanks,
Randy

by Francois Pénzes on Jan 4, 2020 at 1:47:33 am

Hi Randy

Sorry about the late reply, I was out of the country. It may not be just about updating the GPU. Different things will affect all of the components at various degree depending on what you do. Also, you are trying to work with 4K files with a version of the software that was not designed for it. (And I suspect that your comp is under-powered to). If you are more than an occasional/part-time/only on alternate Wednesday editor, you may want to look at upgrading your hardware and your software. Once you've upgraded your software, I suggest that you download a trial version first. Once you're happy with the testing, go ahead and purchase. (Sometimes, you can get the version prior to the latest for less on some reseller's web sites. If you don't need DVD Architect, just get the Edit version (Google is your friend) Stay away from the pirated versions !!! What I personally did was to enlist the help of a couple of my buddies and installed the trial version on their computers that all had different configurations. That helped me narrow my search when choosing the different parts when I built mine. You don't need to spend a gazillion gold coins on hardware. It all depends on what your needs are. Foe example, my configuration works for what I do. It may not for you.

Cheers !

Radeon RX 5700 XT

by Randy Brown on Jan 4, 2020 at 2:32:17 am

Regarding being under powered you may be right...I "built" this PC 6 years ago when I was still doing production/post but it has an i7-3770 3.10ghz 4 core with 32 GB RAM.
The only pro work I still do is shooting and posting (to youtube) a weekly church service which I will continue to just shoot 1080p.
I want to shoot 4K of nature to set to my music compositions (ie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9us7AWN0q8) so probably won't see a financial return...but I did just buy a new graphics card (Geforce GTX 1050)...I know it's not the best but about all I wanted to spend.
I hope to install it tomorrow and see an improvement in the preview...if not, updating from Pro 12 will be my next effort.
Thanks very much for your help Francois,
Randy

BTW, I see you own a XH-A1...I have one I'll sell you for $200 if you're interested...works great except the firewire port petered out and they are no longer available but you can capture tape with your XH-A1 I would assume.

i7-3770 3.10ghz 4 core
32 GB RAM

by Francois Pénzes on Jan 4, 2020 at 3:05:16 am

Hi Randy

Thx for the offer but I use my XH-A1 mostly for cut away shots and record on a HVR-MRC1. It has served me well in the past and still does but to a much lesser extent.

''Older things don't get thrown away, they just get repurposed'' I get that from my wife...go figure.

Cheers !

Radeon RX 5700 XT

by Randy Brown on Jan 4, 2020 at 3:34:27 am

''Older things don't get thrown away, they just get repurposed'' I get that from my wife...go figure.

LOL, you have a wise wife my friend...thanks and I may be back later...but hopefully not : )

i7-3770 3.10ghz 4 core
32 GB RAM

© CreativeCOW.net