VEGAS Pro Forum
Is Vegas Over?
Is Vegas Over?
by Brad Leigh on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:10:42 am

Hello all.
I haven't been on this forum in a long time but take a look every now and then.
This forum used to be very active especially with new releases. I have seen little activity since Magix has taken over.
I'm running Vegas 12 Pro and haven't felt the need to upgrade as I was using mostly HDV and Animation codec files which worked fine in V12. Stable no problems at all. I need to get back to editing and will be using a cannon 80d using the mp4 codec ( I'm assuming mov is unwise) and I'm thinking of upgrading to vegas 16.
Are people using 16 and liking it?
Is it stable?
Will it handle .mp4 better than version 12.
I usually would get these answers by reading through posts, but I don't see the usual suspects posting here so it's hard to tell.
Seeing so little clear activity on the new versions I'm feeling a little nervous about continuing on the Vegas path. In the past I have continued to support software that was getting long in the tooth and I have always been burned.
Thank You
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Re: Is Vegas Over?
by George Dean on Dec 10, 2018 at 12:25:10 am

The key to your answer is download the free 30 day trial and test it first hand. You are going to get mixed messages from others here, which will have some value, but nothing is going to beat seeing it yourself.

I still play around with Vegas Pro 16 and keep updating the builds. It is getting more stable. I also do my actual video editing in DaVinci Resolve 15, which for me is more suitable and stable than any Vegas Pro version I have used. On the other hand, Resolve also has problems for some users. I doubt there is an NLE worth using that doesn't have problems for some users.

Best Regards......George

by James Ollick on Dec 10, 2018 at 1:51:47 pm

If you want an active forum for Vegas go here, https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/video/
That is the official Magix Vegas site. I have been using VP16 along with Boris Fx BCC effects without issues.

James Ollick

by Steve Rhoden on Dec 11, 2018 at 7:44:02 am

Vegas is sill going strong Brad.... Its just because the change of ownership why more of the activity is happening
over at the Magix Vegas forum now instead.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

by Michael Kash on Dec 12, 2018 at 7:02:43 am

I have used 8, 12 and 14 and just upped to 16. So far I am not regretting the choice. Granted with 16 I got a nice fast laptop now so its just wonderful to use....

by Steve Rhoden on Dec 12, 2018 at 8:26:57 am

Wonderful Michael.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

by Dimitrios Papadimitriou on Dec 12, 2018 at 10:57:18 pm

I have been using 12 till a couple weeks ago. I loved 12, it was my bae, but 16 has completely won me over. For me personally I know you didn't have a problem but mine crashed a lot. I have delved into all the new features since 12 because Im too busy editing but it's only crashed on me once so far and it was understable why it crashed that time, the ev encoding lets me render higher bit rates about 5x faster than I was able to at lower bitrates effectively saving me time. The darker interface option is easier on my eyes, you can add and remove aspects of the interface buttons to suit it to your liking. Theres at least some form of tracking finally at least for masks, effects and text, i hope objects coming soon, the masking, and it's ridiculous after so many years but now you can stop the snapping when you try to move anchors so it's much smoother and easier to manipulate, this has effectively made complete masking almost as good as hitfilms for me though It's still easier in hitfilm. Well I hope to learn and utilize more of the new stuff once I'm able, but right now it's learn by having to do. DL the trial, check it out. If you find you are experience intense preview lag there is a issue with that I'm not sure what gets effected but it happened with my system and I figured out how to shut off the thing that does it, now it's all gravy.

by Geoff Candy on Dec 17, 2018 at 10:16:22 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/vegas-pro-even-more-software

The link above will allow you to buy VP15 Edit plus other 'magix' goodies for $25. Genuine software, no catches.

If you are thinking of updating you are not limited to 30 days trial.

by John Rofrano on Dec 18, 2018 at 1:33:48 pm

[Brad Leigh] "I usually would get these answers by reading through posts, but I don't see the usual suspects posting here so it's hard to tell."
I guess I was a "usual suspect" lol... 😉

I moved to the Mac a few years ago and now use Final Cut Pro X on my 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core and I'm loving it. Yes, I'm editing video on an 8 year old Mac and it rocks!!! (of course most 2018 PC's don't have 12-cores so... lots of power to spare in these ole' Mac Pro towers)

I'm not as active here as I use to be just because I don't know what the new features are all about. I stopped using Vegas Pro at version 12. I keep our VASST plug-ins up to date with newer versions but I don't use Vegas Pro anymore. I'll answer general video editing questions here but can't really debug issues because I don't even have a PC anymore so I'm done with graphics card problems and GPU's not working, etc. That's all a thing of the past for me.

I will say this. Coming from Vegas Pro 12 the UI will be a BIG shock! It was for me. I use to be able to look at the UI and see what icons where on and off and assess my track situation immediately. I don't even recognize 1/2 of the icons anymore in Vegas Pro 16 and they've moved some to the bottom of the timeline and the dark interface is horrible for anyone getting older like myself who's eyes require more contrast than when I was younger not less. I hate the dark UI on Final Cut Pro X equally. I don't get this whole dark UI stuff but it's definitely hostile to us older folks. I set mine to light in Vegas Pro. I wish FCP X had that option.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasstsoftware.com

by Nigel O'Neill on Dec 19, 2018 at 1:09:17 pm

[John Rofrano] "whole dark UI stuff but it's definitely hostile to us older folks"

LOL!

[John Rofrano] "Coming from Vegas Pro 12 the UI will be a BIG shock!"

I am only on 13 even though I upgraded to 15. The new UI is hard to get used to, plus I am just not seeing the preview benefits I was hoping for. The upgrade to an NVidia 1060 from a 570 has had zero benefit in any version of Vegas. Plus your excellent UltimateS Pro plugin does the job for me for my multicam editing in 13.

I am dabbling in PowerDirector 16 for the movie club I run because it is inexpensive and powerful in features for what you pay for, and reminds me of Pinnacle Studio 8, which was my first editing program. Gosh...I am giving my age away by admitting to that!

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 13 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, VASST Infiniticam 1.7, Neat Video Pro 2.6

by John Rofrano on Dec 19, 2018 at 2:07:25 pm

[Nigel O'Neill] "The new UI is hard to get used to"
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
[Nigel O'Neill] "I am dabbling in PowerDirector 16 for the movie club I run because it is inexpensive and powerful in features for what you pay for..."
That's why I love the Mac. iMovie is included with every Mac now, and it's very capable which makes it easy to use with video clubs and after school programs.
[Nigel O'Neill] "...and reminds me of Pinnacle Studio 8, which was my first editing program. Gosh...I am giving my age away by admitting to that!"
I got you beat... I started with Pinnacle DC10 1.5 (that had an analog capture card and ran on Windows 98). I believe the upgrade path was Pinnacle Studio 7 for me. What a debacle, that software never worked right. That drove me to buy Sonic Foundry Video Factory 2 and I eventually upgraded to Vegas Video 3 and the rest, as they say, is history. 😉

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasstsoftware.com

by Bruce Brent on Dec 19, 2018 at 4:07:59 pm

John I've got you beat!

I've got a relic. A Canopus PCI card. The length is huge. It produced only SD resolution. Thea inputs and outputs were RCA. This device came with a "breakout box." A nice looking (artifical wood grain) box with a cable to input in the back of the card. It had the same RCA's (in and out) plus a Firewire input. Running on a Windows 98 back then.

The best part of all this was the software: a 3.5" floppy disk. It had the needed drivers and the software that ran the product. Of course, it had the working timeline and the basics needed to create a video. Ready for this....this simple software had the ability to (using your mouse cursor) track a moving object (pixelate a face) by realtime movement of the video. All you had to do was set the pixelate to the size you wanted, click play, place your cursor over the moving face and this simple software would follow the face and place (internal keyframing) the pixelation where your mouse was.

I still have the entire system somewhere in my "house of antiques" room.

So, John, do I have you beat? LOL

An old-fart video editor (Bruce)

by Nigel O'Neill on Dec 19, 2018 at 9:28:33 pm

[Bruce Brent] "A Canopus PCI card"

I remember that hardware and software package but it was too expensive for me at the time, so I settled on the original windows movie maker (WMM) before Pinnacle Studio 8 which could render to DVD as WMM could not. I did my first major project in pinnacle studio 8 but after 100 hours of editing, it would not render. I tried Premiere but it constantly crashed. I then learned Vegas 9 and re-did the entire edit and it has never failed me since

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX1060, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 13 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, VASST Infiniticam 1.7, Neat Video Pro 2.6

by John Rofrano on Dec 20, 2018 at 12:40:33 am

[Bruce Brent] "So, John, do I have you beat? LOL"
Not sure without knowing the model number of the Canopus PCI card. The DC10 card was very old as well. It only captured to MJPEG (it was pre-digital video DV) and only had a resolution of 320 x 480! They actually double the horizontal pixels in the software to make it play back at 640x480 analog. They may be around the same time period but if the Canopus captured 720x480 DV it was probably newer than the DC10. The Pinnacle Studio DC10 software also ran on Microsoft Windows 95 so it may be older. But they are close. I'll have to go into the basement and try and find the box (I know I still have it somewhere) and see if there is a date on it. Try and get the model number of the Canopus card and we can compare.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasstsoftware.com

by Bruce Brent on Dec 20, 2018 at 1:29:14 am

Hi again John,

Hmmm, maybe you do have me beat.

Back then, I was contemplating a Pinnacle non linear editing system, but...even though the Canopus Rex M1 had more "whistles & bells" and a price tag to match (somewhere between $2,100 and $2,000) I bit the bullet and purchased the Canopus. I'm really glad I did. No crashes, it worked perfectly. A simple, straight forward UI as well.

Here's a link to images of the Rex M1 .... https://www.google.com/search?q=canopus+dv+rex+m1&rlz=1C1CHMO_en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWy6zYnq3fAhVL6Z8KHUn_AosQ_AUIDygC&biw=1684&bih=887

I do have the box and all that came with it, but I got lazy and gave you the link instead.

Regards,

Bruce

by John Rofrano on Dec 22, 2018 at 8:31:28 pm

Bruce, I think you have me beat...

I looked in the box of my Studio DC10 Plus and the Users Manual is copyright 1998 (hard to imagine that was 20 years ago!) and supports Windows 95 and 98. I still have the receipt from outpost.com in the box dated January 14, 2001.

I found this article dated Sept 1998 about Canopus dropping the price of the DVrex to $2499 USD so it must be older.

https://www.videomaker.com/videonews/1998/09/canopus-drops-price-of-dvrex

Wow, that was a lot of money!

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasstsoftware.com

© CreativeCOW.net