VEGAS Pro Forum
Moving graphics
Moving graphics
by Dale Estes on Nov 17, 2018 at 7:34:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to describe what I'm looking for, but I'll try. Sometimes when you watch NASCAR, they show the little boxes with the drivers name towards the top of the screen, but then have lines or arrows that point to the corresponding cars. The name box stays in place, but the endpoint of the line/arrow will track the car it's points to. I don't want the whole text to track the cars, just the end of the arrow. I searched for an hour or more to find an example that I could post but couldn't. Hope I'm clear enough, any help is appreciated.

Re: Moving graphics
by Paul Berk on Nov 17, 2018 at 8:06:34 pm

Can you post some footage showing the FX you are trying for ... ?

by Paul Berk on Nov 17, 2018 at 8:23:47 pm

Found some footage myself ... this looks like what you want starting at 5:18 or so ... a challenge to do in Vegas .. but maybe the new Track Motion can do it? .. I'll give it a whirl as time permits. Nifty FX .. those TV guys are clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql20qF0zbGI

by Dale Estes on Nov 17, 2018 at 9:38:27 pm

Yep, that's it exactly. You probably found the one video that I didn't look at 😉 I searched for about an hour to find an example. What I have found is that BCC has an Extruded Spline plugin that might do what I want, just not as fancy. I can make a single straight spline, anchor one end at my text, and keyframe the other to match the movement of my subject. As I tweak the setting I get closer to what I want. I'll post a test render here when I get it figured out. FYI, I still use Vegas 12, haven't really had the need to upgrade.

by Paul Berk on Nov 18, 2018 at 4:15:30 am

I'd love to see what you come up with ... basically it's an animated arrow using keyframes, Vegas does the inbetweens .. the trick, in this case, is knowing how to pin one end of the arrow so it swings like a gate.

by Dale Estes on Nov 18, 2018 at 3:13:49 pm

So here's what I've worked out, I can make some nice graphics for the names themselves and still use the BCC Extruded Splines for the lines. I've got a couple of other ideas I want to try out.

by Paul Berk on Nov 18, 2018 at 6:43:58 pm

Looks good ... nice work ..

by Bruce Brent on Nov 18, 2018 at 2:40:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_baDbOP88

by John Rofrano on Nov 19, 2018 at 11:50:08 pm

I resemble that remark! lol... the BCC plug-ins are an awesome edition to Vegas Pro.

~jr

www.johnrofrano.com
www.vasstsoftware.com

© CreativeCOW.net