Broadcasting Forum
For someone who really knows Hidef Mastering and Crossconversions and Teranex
For someone who really knows Hidef Mastering and Crossconversions and Teranex
by Michael Klinger on Mar 29, 2007 at 3:39:45 pm

We offer some dub/clone deliverable services, but none yet in the high def arena. I ask from a dubbing/cloning perspective a few questions:

In reading some delivery specs for National Geographic Channel, they state that a down convert made on-board is unacceptable. While this was a blanket statement relating to all high def formats, does that mean that the onboard downconvert capabilities of a $100,000 deck such as a an SRW-5500 HDCAM SR are truly unacceptable?

Further: They DO accept Teranex conversions (up/down/cross). Is this to say that the $10,000 cross conversion option in an HDCAM SR deck doesn't do a good enough job. Or is this also the result of a blanket statement?

If Teranex is more acceptable all around -- is the line they called "Mini" up for a high end hdcam sr cross conversion?

Lastly, In reading the literature for the highest end "mini" -- is seems to me that the highest end most whizzbang "mini" does every conceivable up/down/cross EXCEPT 1080i 59.94 to 480i 59.94. Yet a lower level "mini" model with fewer features does do 1080ito 480i. Any thoughts on why this is?

Thanks.

Mike Klinger

© CreativeCOW.net