Adobe After Effects Forum
CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by Kirk Smith on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:28:13 am

I'm trying to use Soundkeys to create a particle animation, but I keep running into this error. I'm using After Effects CS5 and I have 8GB of RAM installed, 6.5 of which is allocated to After Effects. The song I'm trying to process is just over 5 minutes long. I can RAM preview just fine, but when I try to create the keyframes I get an error that says:

After Effects: Unable to allocate 0.454 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list).

It's happened twice now, luckily this time I saved my project before trying to create the keyframes, but it's getting really frustrating. I'm not rendering any frames, I'm creating keyframes, so what's the issue? I think it might have to do with the framerate of Soundkeys, I have it set to use my comp framerate, which is 30. Since the song is 5 minutes long, that's 27,000 keyframes it's trying to create (9000 per range, all 3 ranges.) Could that be the issue?

Re: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by Kirk Smith on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:54:50 am

I've got render multiple frames disabled, though I'm on a dual core processor, I've always had issues with that option, so I should be using all 6 gigs on a single core.

What I ended up doing is lowering the keyframe rate of Sound Keys to 15 and that worked. I thought about going back and doing one range at a time at 30fps, but I'd gotten far enough in the project that I didn't want to mess anything up.

© CreativeCOW.net