Adobe After Effects Forum
Vibrantly fade to white using Levels (or something)
Vibrantly fade to white using Levels (or something)
by joel penner on Apr 4, 2020 at 5:01:37 pm

I have a shot of mould growing. I am wanting to have it wash out to white via using keyframes for White with Levels. I like how vibrant this looks, as all of the colours become brighter and brighter individually, as opposed to a cookie cutter fade to white transition in Premiere or something which is more flat.

I did this in Premiere using Levels, but the transition looks a bit harsh. Would there be a better way to have this transition happen where the colours wouldn't all get so harsh at once? I am open to effects other than Levels, but I just want the colours to be rich and vibrant as this transition happens. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8s90_BgYGI

Re: Vibrantly fade to white using Levels (or something)
by Darby Edelen on Apr 4, 2020 at 10:25:27 pm

I would recommend keyframing a reduction in the saturation as the white level is adjusted. There are other options but that would be my first thought.

Darby Edelen

by joel penner on Apr 6, 2020 at 6:47:27 am

Thanks, that's definitely better, but the lower saturation is noticeable. Do any other ideas come to mind that I could experiment with?

by Darby Edelen on Apr 6, 2020 at 7:39:15 am

Less lower saturation? Starting the reduction later? The complaint you have is that the color channels are being clipped differently so the only solution is to make the color channels more uniform, translation: desaturation. You might try using the Tint effect for a slightly different result. I'd also look into desaturating before the levels effect and and after the levels effect to see which you prefer.

Darby Edelen

by joel penner on Apr 9, 2020 at 7:48:52 pm

Great ideas, thanks.

© CreativeCOW.net