Adobe After Effects Forum
After Effects write paragraph from bottom to top?
After Effects write paragraph from bottom to top?
by Qendrim Spahija on Feb 4, 2020 at 12:48:21 pm

Hi there,

I'm creating a template file in AE which I will use a lot (kind of lower thirds stuff).
What I'm trying to do is within a text box when I write something I want it to start from bottom and then go up. I'll attach some pictures of what I mean if I'm not clear.

The problem is when I have a long title (5 words or above), it has to be written in two lines, but when I have a short title, it's going to be only one line, and every time a title is short or long I have to adjust the position of the text box.

I looked over the internet but can't find a solution.

Re: After Effects write paragraph from bottom to top?
by Chaz Chester on Feb 5, 2020 at 1:34:06 pm

I don't think there's a built-in function for that. If you're using a consistent font size, I have a method that may help.

Create a slider control determines how tall your text box is:
s=thisComp.layer("Text Layer Name");
s.sourceRectAtTime().height;

Make another slider that divides that value by your font point to get the number of lines in the paragraph (in this case I used 13 for a 12.5 font point):
Math.ceil((effect("Height slider")("Slider"))/13)

Make another slider to set the initial Y value of your text box: (no expression)

Make another slider for the change in your Y value:
effect("Number of lines slider")("Slider")*13

Finally, set this expression for your text box's position:
temp = transform.position[0];
[temp, thisComp.layer("Text Layer Name").effect("Initial Y Value")("Slider")-thisComp.layer("Text Layer Name").effect("Change in Y Value")("Slider")]

This should make it so your text box moves up as you add lines, so the bottom of the text box stays in the same position.

Re: After Effects write paragraph from bottom to top?
by Qendrim Spahija on Feb 5, 2020 at 3:31:10 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

© CreativeCOW.net