Adobe After Effects Forum
C4D Lite/AE Material on Grouped Objects
C4D Lite/AE Material on Grouped Objects
by Angel Nieves on Jan 17, 2020 at 10:47:36 pm

I'm trying to animate the below object so that lights turn off one by one. Each bar on this DNA strand is a separate object. It's several objects grouped together (I'm new to C4D and may be using the wrong terminology). It appears that the materials are linked so that if I change one, all change. I'm trying to change the material on each object one by one. The animation is that each bar turns off, as a light going off, one after the other but not at the same time. I'm trying to animate each swatch so that it turns off at different times. When I add key frames to one swatch, the others turn off as well. I tried creating a new material and applying it to an individual bar, but when I alter that it alters all the bars and not just the bar I applied it to. Is the because the grouped items are linked somehow? If so, how do I unlink them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: C4D Lite/AE Material on Grouped Objects
by Graham Quince on Jan 19, 2020 at 2:53:21 pm

Hmmm, I can see the problem, but the solution is tricky. You’ve created a material and have set a keyframe in that, but because you’re using the material on each object, they all change together. This is like if you’d used a video in AE repeatedly.

So we to try another way. If you right click on any of the objects you’ll see a tag menu within the cinema4D section there is a compositing tag (I think that’s where it is) if you add that to one of your objects that’s got a keyframe option for visibility. This will turn on and off the object based on the key frame and then obviously you could copy that, onto the other objects. But if you’re wanting an object to be there with a different colour you’re probably going to have to have a duplicate of the whole DNA strand, and make it slightly larger so that it can be in the same space.

I know that there is a bunch of mograph options in C4D light now. Before you didn’t have any mograph and needed the full studio, so I’m not sure but there might be a mograph setting or tag that would do this for you.

www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Re: C4D Lite/AE Material on Grouped Objects
by Angel Nieves on Jan 20, 2020 at 7:04:20 pm

Thanks for your help. You sent me in the right direction. I think the problem was that I was applying the swatch in the layout window. But I ended up creating separate swatches for each object, and applying them by dragging onto the objects themselves one by one, and then adding keyframes to each individual swatch. That worked.

© CreativeCOW.net