Adobe After Effects Forum
Unable to run aerender command over ssh using system.callSystem script
Unable to run aerender command over ssh using system.callSystem script
by Mark Paterson on Nov 13, 2019 at 10:27:41 pm

I've wrote a script that sends my current active project to aerender directly from a Script UI button. It works fine on my local machine like this…

myPanel.grp.group8.getPath.onClick = function() {

if(app.project.file !== null){
var path = app.project.file.fsName;
$.writeln(path);
}

var renderCommand = "/Applications/Adobe\\ After\\ Effects\\ 2020/aerender -project " + path;
system.callSystem(renderCommand);

}

However I would like the render to take place on a different machine which has access to the same files. The following Terminal command (from my machine) works and the image sequence gets rendered ok…

ssh server@192.168.50.4 /Applications/Adobe\\ After\\ Effects\\ 2020/aerender -project /Volumes/Work/Jobs/test.aep

The problem is, if I try to add ssh into the AE script like this, it does not work…

myPanel.grp.group8.getPath.onClick = function() {

if(app.project.file !== null){
var path = app.project.file.fsName;
$.writeln(path);
}

var renderCommand = "ssh server@192.168.50.4 /Applications/Adobe\\ After\\ Effects\\ 2020/aerender -project " + path;

}

What am I doing wrong? What is the correct syntax to do this?

Re: Unable to run aerender command over ssh using system.callSystem script
by Mark Paterson on Nov 22, 2019 at 8:43:51 pm

The following command works. Turns out I needed to backslash the quotes in a couple of places…

var renderCommand = "ssh server@192.168.50.4 \"/Applications/Adobe\\ After\\ Effects\\ 2020/aerender -project \"" + path;

However, the issue now is that AE pinwheels until the aerender is complete on the other machine haha. The same happens when I remove ssh from the command and aerender locally. I guess I need to find a way to let it run in the background or just send the command then return focus to AE?

© CreativeCOW.net