Adobe After Effects Forum
Auto-orient multiple layers as one
Auto-orient multiple layers as one
by Albert Kowalski on Aug 12, 2019 at 2:30:29 pm

Hi!

I have this problem. I have one big layer that act as a space background. It is very big (25000x20000), because there is lot of zooming in in the animation, so I need it to look full and majestic when it is far away and also not too thin when the camera come close. But when I have a wide angle shot and my camera moves a lot, I need to duplicate this layer, transform it horizontally and put it next to the original one, so my background is even wider.

Like this (without orienting them towards camera):

The issue is with a 'Orient towards camera' function. With one layer it works fine. But when I put multiple layers next to each other, and they are all Oriented towards camera, they are oriented differently and do not "stick" to each other. Like this:

So I'm looking for a way to make them act "as one". I cannot precomp them cause they're too big. I tried to parent them to the Null, and orient the null, but it doesn't work. Any other workarounds? Thanks!

Re: Auto-orient multiple layers as one
by Cassius Marques on Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32:52 pm

You should use VideoCopilot's 3d Earth plugin (its free) and set that map as the inner texture of the sphere. (It essentially becomes Red Giant's Horizon plugin).

Once you proper tile that texture you won't have to bother with the orienting. Just scale it accordingly to your camera's zoom movement.

Cassius Marques
www.zapfilmes.com

© CreativeCOW.net