Adobe After Effects Forum
Looping a Precomp Between Defined Frames
Looping a Precomp Between Defined Frames
by Rob Jennings on Aug 6, 2019 at 7:12:09 pm

Hi, I'm having trouble finding an expression that will loop a precomp between a defined start and end frame. I'm familiar with standard loop expressions like loopOut("cycle",1), but I really need something that will give me greater control. For example, start loop on frame [15] and loop back to frame 15 after frame [35].

Is this possible? Thanks!

Re: Looping a Precomp Between Defined Frames
by Walter Soyka on Aug 7, 2019 at 2:25:48 pm

Use Time Remapping [link] on your precomp layer, set the two keyframes you wish, then use loopOut() as you normally would.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

by Rob Jennings on Aug 7, 2019 at 9:11:00 pm

Hey Walter, thanks for your reply. In this case I really need control over the start and end of the loop to exist entirely in the expression. The best I can do at the moment is use a modulo operator on time remapping (time % 30 would loop to the beginning every 30 seconds) but even this doesn’t give me control of the start frame of the loop. Maybe a while statement could do it? Thanks in advance. I’m just beginning to learn java so it’s hard for me to play around with it without getting syntax errors.

by Walter Soyka on Aug 7, 2019 at 9:43:19 pm

This expression will do what you want. Use it on the time-remapping property, and ask me questions about whatever isn't clear:

var startFrame = 15;
var endFrame = 35;
framesToTime((timeToFrames(time) % (endFrame - startFrame + 1)) + startFrame);

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

© CreativeCOW.net