Adobe After Effects Forum
Google Earth Studio - make a 2D-element follow along
Google Earth Studio - make a 2D-element follow along
by Simon Anderson on Aug 1, 2019 at 8:08:39 am

I am trying to integrate 2D-elements to my composition in order to show some areas of interest.

These areas have first been key'd out in AE (by importing KML-files into GES and activating them as overlay).

Back in AE I seem to be stuck. I can not get my stripped background to follow along with either; the camera or the tracking points that GES provides. I have tried converting my layer to 3D in order to create the depth but nothing seems to work.

Video included: Streamable Link

Re: Google Earth Studio - make a 2D-element follow along
by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Aug 1, 2019 at 9:01:09 am

Hey Simon,

two possible ways:
1. Apply 3D camera tracker and then link your elements accordingly (tested, looks OK)
2. 2D motion track the video footage and use tracking data.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

by Simon Anderson on Aug 1, 2019 at 10:03:14 am

Hey there thanks for the suggestions.

My original approach was 2D motion tracking, but the map seemed to confuse AE a lot.

I have tried applying a 3D camera tracker - only problem is that it attaches my stripped background to the cameras postition (the z-position).

Is there a way to make it respect the z-pos coords but make sure they are behind the map it self - and that they dont attach to the camera?

by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Aug 1, 2019 at 1:04:51 pm

With 3D camera track, it should contain its position.

Not sure whether you are related with the tracker itself, but once it does the analysing of the scene, you need to select points, to form perpendicular circular plane to your footage. Once they are selected, just right click and create camera with null.

Afterwards, copy null's transformation props and paste to your stripped bg. Adjust its size and you should be good to go!

Find out more:

by Simon Anderson on Aug 1, 2019 at 1:49:12 pm

Thanks for clarifying -

I am getting better results

There is still a bit of rolling on the stripes but I guess that can be solved by picking better points from the 3D camera track?

by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Aug 1, 2019 at 1:54:38 pm

Yes, that is true. Try changing 'solving method' and apply advanced method checkbox as well to look for improvement.

Choose the one, which has smallest pixel error rate. Below 1.5px usually turns OK.

Also, you can also break the clip into two parts, at the time where it fails the most.

Find out more:

by Blaise Douros on Aug 6, 2019 at 10:17:14 pm

Mocha would probably be your best tool to deal with this. A planar track would be ideal to match the surface, and wouldn't require you to key out the objects--once you have the planar track, you can insert the element, draw the mask, and it will follow the size changes.

© CreativeCOW.net