Adobe After Effects Forum
How is this done?
How is this done?
by Vlajko Kokorajko on Jul 30, 2019 at 2:47:57 pm

I'm doing a project for a client where i need to achieve a similar crumbling effect.

I've timestamped the video where the crumbling takes place https://youtu.be/F34FvVBbUdk?t=438

Does anyone know how to create that crumbling effect? I've checked the same video, the crumbling occurs several times and each time the "crumbling" is seemingly random. Is there an effect, template or some other way to do this?

Re: How is this done?
by Mark Whitney on Jul 30, 2019 at 3:20:35 pm

Could find the time stamp so I just d/led the video to scan through. Still not sure which effect you're referring to; perhaps just post a frame grab.

by Vlajko Kokorajko on Jul 30, 2019 at 3:25:29 pm

Hm, it seems timestamp doesn't work. It's exactly at 8m 00s

by Vlajko Kokorajko on Jul 30, 2019 at 3:29:49 pm

8m 05s to actually. It's the crumbling effect of that image on the right. Any idea how that's done? I would need it on a slightly bigger scale, but that "effect" in the video seems to be customizable, so knowing at least how the creator achieved that crumbling effect would be a good start.

by Mark Whitney on Jul 30, 2019 at 4:06:04 pm

OK, found it.

Ya, obviously a separate comp. Could be a number of ways to do that, but my guess here is that they used Newton2. or I guess it's up to 3 now.

https://aescripts.com/newton/

Not inexpensive, but a heck of a lot of fun to use. Probably a few folk here though that could guide you using more native, less expensive ways but at least you've a starting point.

by Eric Santiago on Jul 30, 2019 at 4:55:30 pm

[Mark Whitney] "Not inexpensive, but a heck of a lot of fun to use. Probably a few folk here though that could guide you using more native, less expensive ways but at least you've a starting point."

The effect on that example is pretty basic so by hand is best.
Create layers with the pieces (jigsaw?) and keyframe to crumble.
Dont think you need Dynamics.

by Greg Gesch on Jul 30, 2019 at 11:42:26 pm

Hi. I would duplicate the image, mask out the crumbled area and copy the mask to the second version, invert the upper layer's mask - you now have the whole image again. Then to the lower layer add either the CC Pixel Polly effect or the Shatter effect (which is far more flexible).

by Vlajko Kokorajko on Jul 31, 2019 at 9:53:08 am

Yes, I used Pixel Polly, though it doesn't look as "natural", if that's the right word. In the example video that I posted the crumbling is more gradual - though this can be set with 2-3 masks on 2-3 layers - and just kind of flows better, and if you look carefully each piece jerks a bit when it breaks away from the composition.

by Greg Gesch on Jul 31, 2019 at 11:31:33 pm

Hi. You would be better off using the Shatter effect which allows you to use shatter maps etc. It's a complex effect and probably requires a bit of research and fiddling to get it to do exactly what you want it to.

© CreativeCOW.net