Adobe After Effects Forum
Need a script to import Rotoscoping mask
Need a script to import Rotoscoping mask
by Neetu Varma on Jul 14, 2019 at 9:54:57 am

Hello,

I am looking to perform rotoscoping on one of my videos.
I have found Clearvid.io online service that performs rotoscoping. They provide the points of the resultant masks of rotoscoping in a text file that can be imported into After effects.

Ask:
I need some help in writing a script that imports these points into Adobe after effects.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Please find the input video file and the file containing the masks here.

Thank you.

Re: Need a script to import Rotoscoping mask
by Walter Soyka on Jul 18, 2019 at 2:56:21 am

Looking at the video, there's a ton of chatter in the edges. I can't imagine this would actually be usable in production without a lot of cleanup -- and the masks themselves are 10,000+ points, so cleaning by hand would not be practical at all. If this really meets your needs, you may as well get mattes instead of masks.

I would think Clearvid would want to develop this script if they want their output to be useful for Ae users (though again, I don't think that those masks would be valuable at all). Have you contacted them?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

by Neetu Varma on Jul 20, 2019 at 2:56:50 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I contacted ClearVid asking for the script but they are in beta mode now and are yet to come up with platform specific scripts.

While the result for this one is not that good, I have got the result for another couple of videos which are pretty good and can be found here.
I'm not an expert at this and am looking for a service that could perform basic rotoscoping which can later be fine-tuned in AE with minimal effort and time.

It would be great if you could help me with the script to import it as rotobrush result. I believe such a code will be useful for anyone like me.

by Walter Soyka on Jul 22, 2019 at 2:33:12 pm

I think you'd be better off just using Rotobrush from the beginning. The masks in your new file have 20,000+ points per mask, per frame -- there's no way to meaningfully edit these as paths, and there's no way to import any external data into the Rotobrush tool (which uses its own engine for following edges).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

© CreativeCOW.net