Adobe After Effects Forum
Custom Lightsaber - Start Point and End Point
Custom Lightsaber - Start Point and End Point
by Filip Stillerska on Jun 22, 2019 at 9:05:36 pm

An easy way to create a simple lightsaber in AE is to use the "Beam"-effect, track the clip that you want to composite the saber into and then link the tracking data to the Beam-effect's "Starting Point" and "Ending Point". But how do you do this with a custom lightsaber, created in another composition? I thought it would be as easy as tracking the clip and then linking the tracking data to the position of two Puppet Tool-pins on both ends of the saber; I was wrong. Doing this results in a weird bend of the custom saber. I knew there are plugins, but this feels like it would be achievable without plugins.
Any ideas?

Project download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwfb2evu9guxt6z/Custom%20Lightsaber%20-%20Start%20Point%20and%20End%20Point.aep?dl=0

The beams ("lightsabers").

Using the Beam-effect I'm able to move around the start and end point of the saber.

Trying to do the same thing with the Puppet Tool on a custom saber results in a weird bend, even if I change settings like "Mesh Rotation Refinement".

Re: Custom Lightsaber - Start Point and End Point
by Doyle Lewis on Jun 24, 2019 at 1:09:51 pm

Use the 2 points of data as a position and scale track maybe and loose the puppet tool entirely? that would be my best guess without seeing the project myself.

Doyle Lewis,
Assistant Location Manager
Warner Brother Pictures

Re: Custom Lightsaber - Start Point and End Point
by Blaise Douros on Jun 24, 2019 at 3:58:06 pm

Just download Video CoPilot's fantastic (and 100% free!) plugin Saber. It does more than just lightsabers, so you should have it in your arsenal anyway; it's incredibly useful for all sorts of energy effects.

It's sort of silly to self-limit to only native effects when there's a free tool that does exactly what you need.

© CreativeCOW.net