Adobe After Effects Forum
Creating a long seamless panning sequence with over 50 clips?
Creating a long seamless panning sequence with over 50 clips?
by Max Monty on Jun 12, 2019 at 7:21:35 am

I want to film a bunch of locked down shots and have a fake camera slowly pan its positioning between each video clip.

In the end, there may be about 40-50 different clips lined up next to each other---but i only want to show in the final video one video while panning through---but i want to make it look seamless (which is up to my creativity in matching shots)

I attached two screen shots of a test i did. Do i need to make a really wide pixel by pixel (like 24000x2160) and then create a new composition and slowly keyframe to the next shots? or is there a better way to do it? I almost want an open art-board where a camera could pan between each shot I desire.

the first ss is my "wide" pixel by pixel composition

the second ss is what would be my final output. It will be in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Also, i dont want the pan to look robotic--but with smooth acceleration and deceleration--is that possible?

Re: Creating a long seamless panning sequence with over 50 clips?
by Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jun 12, 2019 at 9:55:28 am

I don't have experience with comps of that size, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it could easily run into memory issues.

I would create a master null and link all layers to it as you get them in place, then use the null to move the entire set of layers.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

by Mike Foran on Jun 12, 2019 at 12:04:08 pm

I agree, that creating one huge video is going to be a memory and CPU disaster. Break the shot up into more manageable pieces and use a master null to pan them through the main comp. If your master null gets too far offscreen, create another one and parent the first null to it.

by Doyle Lewis on Jun 12, 2019 at 7:30:27 pm

If I understand correctly you have a sequence of shots that pan through a room and you want to turn that into a digital track but you do not have a 1 pic to one frame ratio? so you can't just stitch them together to make your track?

If so what I would do is lay out all your pictures in a frame that is your final output size (1080 or 720 or whatever it is) then in your comp lay out all your photos in the order you want to switch between them where it is 1 frame for every picture. You should now have a short video that just flicks through each picture really fast. Precompose the whole thing and time remap the precomp to the length you want and then turn on frame blend for both your project and on the precomp. Then boom it will interpolate between each picture. Depending on how similar each picture was both in camera level, lens length and camera height you should have a pretty nice digital track across the room. you can also always adjust your photos in the precomp in order to make the transitions smoother

Doyle Lewis,
Assistant Location Manager
Warner Brother Pictures

© CreativeCOW.net