Adobe After Effects Forum
Mask Modes Unintentionally Changing With the Click of a Mouse!
Mask Modes Unintentionally Changing With the Click of a Mouse!
by John Richter on May 21, 2019 at 4:00:46 pm

Here's an issue I've been having for way too long now, and my long searches for an answer have been futile.

Let's say I draw a mask on a layer. If I need to move around the vertices of that mask for either tuning or keyframing, sometimes when I simply click the vertex, the mask mode will change. If I want that mask mode set to "Subtract," for instance, and I click the vertex, suddenly the mask mode switches to "Lighten" or "Intersect" or any other mask mode rather than staying put.

I've tried restarting AE, restarting my computer, uninstall/reinstall, cleaning caches - I've run the whole gamut and nothing has permanently solved this horrendously frustrating issue. If anyone else out there has come across this issue and solved it, I will be forever in your debt!!

Re: Mask Modes Unintentionally Changing With the Click of a Mouse!
by Walter Soyka on May 21, 2019 at 5:49:06 pm

Try resetting your preferences. Close After Effects, then hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Cmd+Opt+Shift (macOS) while starting Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Re: Mask Modes Unintentionally Changing With the Click of a Mouse!
by John Richter on May 21, 2019 at 5:57:48 pm

No dice, unfortunately. The only difference I had on this current layer I'm working on, is that instead of my intended mode of Add constantly switching to None, now it's switching to Intersect.... 😔

© CreativeCOW.net