Adobe After Effects Forum
Delay time and offset rotation (Fanning Cards Animation)
Delay time and offset rotation (Fanning Cards Animation)
by Francis Saldaña on Apr 17, 2019 at 3:55:34 am

Hi! I am new on using After Effects and I am thinking if there is an easy way of creating a "fanning cards" like animation using expressions. I used the valueAtTime expression and layer index to delay the animation of the duplicate layers. However, I am not familiar with offsetting the end keyframe of the parent layer.

For example, the PARENT layer will rotate from 0° to 15° only. Then the CHILD layer will rotate from 0° to (15°+15). Then the next CHILD layer will rotate from 0° to (15°+30).

I would really appreciate your answers and it will help me a lot. Thank you so much.

Re: Delay time and offset rotation (Fanning Cards Animation)
by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Apr 17, 2019 at 10:42:16 am

Hey Francis,

please share the delay expression you are currently using to enhance it further.

Yet in general, it would be something like this, assuming you have a null layer with 'Slider' named 'delay' in the comp:
delayFrames = thisComp.layer("control").effect("delay")(1);
delay = framesToTime(delayFrames);
extraSpin = 15;
thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.rotation.valueAtTime(time-delay) + extraSpin

You could change 'inded-1' to 'index+1' if your parented layers stack has a different order (if parent is below)

Cheers.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

by Francis Saldaña on Apr 22, 2019 at 7:05:16 am

Thank you so much Tomas!

I'm just wondering if the framesToTime function is necessary, since the value of the delayFrames is just a number.

by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Apr 22, 2019 at 7:59:30 am

Francis - framesToTime() is there to have a greater control over the delay. Personally, I tend to keep delay between elements small, and without a need to pay close attention to the slider value.

You could remove this translation and see how it works. Also, this one is important for TimeRemapping. Without translation it does not work as expected :)

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

by Francis Saldaña on Apr 24, 2019 at 2:10:11 am

Oh alright, I'll remember that. Thank you so much Tomas! You surely helped me save a lot of time. :)

© CreativeCOW.net