Adobe After Effects Forum
Camera tracking problems
Camera tracking problems
by Tadas Laužikas on Apr 2, 2019 at 11:33:56 am

Hello everyone,

Camera tracking has been my great nemesis for a long time. Every time I go to battle with it for past years I always loose and end up using steady shots if I want to add some 3d to them.
Yesterday I went one more time into the fray, and it seemed to go well but still wasn't able to make precise tracking.
Attaching shot I have been working with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

13235_cameratrackingtest.mp4.zip

Re: Camera tracking problems
by Michael Szalapski on Apr 3, 2019 at 11:03:13 pm

In this case, you don't need to do a camera track. A regular planar track or even a point track will work just fine. A camera solve is going to be really difficult to do because there's barely any parallax in the shot for the camera to work with.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

by Tomas Bumbulevičius on Apr 4, 2019 at 2:41:30 pm

Hey Tadas,

in case you still decide to fight back with the camera tracker, here are few things to consider:

1. When Solving camera, select the 'Detailed analysis' checkmark.
2. For Solve methods, ultimately use the one which generates the smallest 'Average Error' by pixels. Anything below 1.2px usually is suitable. (sometimes - even if it does not reflect actual camera movement method)
3. Not 100% sure about this one - but when generating null & camera, select more points, which reflects the 'plane' you will be attaching item to.

Tried to solve this shot too, seems to be working better than your partially floating render. Hope this helps now or later! (:

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

by Tadas Laužikas on Apr 15, 2019 at 2:55:50 pm

Hey guys, thanks a lot for advices. For some reason i was not able to track with one or two points, it tracked but was not precise, but will have that technique in mind for future.
Anyway I was able to track precise with 3d camera, after I changed solve method to Typical, average error decreased to 0.48 and it was like 4.0 before so thanks Tomas for suggestion to pay atention to that.

I still had problems importing camera to 3ds max, cause scale was wrong and plugin I used (AE3D_Export.jsx) only was able to scale by 10, also camera angle wasn't correct according to ground plane. And if I edit camera at all (scale, rotate) track wouldn't work anymore. So I needed to scale actual robot model and it finaly worked! Attaching result.

I wonder if were is a way get correct camera scale and angle without messing up a tracking. Have couple more frames I need to track for this project, so I will probably have more questions for you guys in a future, thanks again!

13267_robotasdairosi2.mp4.zip

by Michael Szalapski on Apr 15, 2019 at 4:56:08 pm

If you know the focal length of the lens that was used, you can tell AE and that'll help make the track and result more accurate.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

© CreativeCOW.net