Adobe After Effects Forum
Favorite Plug-ins for Efficiency
Favorite Plug-ins for Efficiency
by Kevin Camin on Mar 28, 2019 at 3:01:10 am

Best plug-ins for efficiency? Not looking for plug-ins to do cool effects but to save time for routine tasks. Thanks!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Re: Favorite Plug-ins for Efficiency
by Steve Bentley on Mar 28, 2019 at 3:05:36 am

FX console from VideoCopilot - free and you're space bar will get worn out you'll use it so much.

by Max Haller on Mar 28, 2019 at 3:53:26 pm

I second that and it also has a really useful screenshot and image browser feature that i use all the time to quickly compare multiple versions.

Also Move Anchor Point and True Comp Duplicator are lifesavers for me. Move anchor point lets you snap the anchor to different places on a layer in one click. True Comp duplicator gives you a lot more control on duplicating comps. Great for duping comps with many nested comps, or lower thirds that have nested comps for the name and title that need to be unique in each main comp. it updates expressions too.

Bq ProjectPanelNavigator also adds a lot of useful buttons like Putting the selected items into a folder and batch search and renaming comps in the project panel.

by Kevin Camin on Mar 28, 2019 at 3:59:26 pm

Thanks, everyone!

For the 'Move Anchor Point' script, does it work if you have position keyframes for that layer? As you know, normally when you try to move an anchor point when position keyframes have already been defined, it creates a mess.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

by Kevin Camin on Mar 28, 2019 at 4:11:26 pm

I'm putting together an efficiency teach out, so thanks everyone so far.

I'll share a few:
Sort It: designate layers in your comp to a layer set like in Cinema 4D (much faster than toggling individual visibility parameters on complex projects)

Magnum 3: Detects edits in footage and splits into layers. We've all gotten a baked edit that we need to pull apart.

Paste Multiple Keyframes 2: Allows you to copy and paste exposed keyframes from multiple layers (to themselves--layer A's keyframes will paste to layer A, layer B's keyframes will paste to layer B, etc.). I don't see why AE natively doesn't let you do this. If you try to copy and paste keyframes from more than one layer, it will duplicate the layers.

Pt Effect Search: Search for effects in the project and create instances of effects so you can set just one global parameter.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

by Max Haller on Mar 28, 2019 at 4:25:17 pm

Thanks for sharing those other ones!

For the move anchor point question - I believe it just moves the anchor like you would do normally so it probably messes up the key frames still. It can be avoided however by parenting the layer to a null and animating the null position, then you can still update the anchor point on the layer in regards to rotation and scale.

by Cassius Marques on Mar 28, 2019 at 6:32:15 pm

Motion v2 from mt. mograph does a bunch of those things and more. It changes anchor (with keyframes, granted its only for sides/corners (90% usage)). It handles copying multiple keyframes, it cleans project, it handles influences, it has most of the basic simple tricks we use with expressions such as bounciness, ropes, orbits and such. It a must have for any AE user.

Duik is great for simple things too. It does a lot of the same things Motion does, but it also helps.

rd_compsetter.

CopyMask2Layer.

Flow.

ExplodeShapeLayers.

Those are all quality of life scripts/plugins/extensions that I use during a day's work.

Cassius Marques
www.zapfilmes.com

© CreativeCOW.net