Adobe After Effects Forum
Video imported to AE is sped up and distorted
Video imported to AE is sped up and distorted
by Eojin Kim on Feb 18, 2019 at 6:01:46 am

Hey guys, sorry for making another post so quickly, but I have a big problem.
So, I have a 12-second video clip that I imported into a project.
However, the video clip is sped up around 5 times and distorted, as if I'm watching it online on a bad internet connection.
At around the end of the clip (which ends in 1 and a half seconds), the video freezes and stays that way until the end.
The video itself is totally fine, I can open it in VLC and it plays flawlessly for the entire 12 seconds. However, when I open it with some other program, such as Windows Media Player or GOM Player, it glitches out and acts similarly to how it does in Adobe AE, or simply doesn't play.
The video is a normal file taken from pixabay.com (https://pixabay.com/en/videos/clock-timer-icon-flat-animated-15714/).
Adjustment layers applied on top of the video works as it should.
Effects added onto the video works as it should.
But the video itself seems to not work very well in AE, although it works fine in VLC.
I have tried converting the video to different formats, MP4, AVI, AVI with MPEG-2, H.264 etc. All of them have the same effect: nothing!
How can I fix this??

Re: Video imported to AE is sped up and distorted
by Mark Whitney on Feb 18, 2019 at 3:10:38 pm

I can probably do you one better than that!

A utility I often use with suspect files is MediaInfo. It shows the file as 1920 x 1080, 29.97, 4:4:4, 8-bits, and various other things. Bringing into AE though, albeit CS6, the file dims are 16 x 160. Just a tad off.

The conversions you tried are via VLC ? Tried using a converter that I've never had issue with before, but it didn't like the file. I brought the clip into Premiere. It didn't like the color space but was correctly sized & played correctly timewise. Not sure what else to suggest to convert.

by Eojin Kim on Feb 18, 2019 at 3:18:17 pm

No, I used Movavi Video Converter to convert the video clip. It has options to convert to basically any video format.
VLC is a video player (regarded as one of the best out there), like Windows Media Player or GOM player, etc.
Anyways, it doesn't matter, since even when I import the MP4 file I directly downloaded from Pixabay, it still behaves exactly the same.

Not to mention, what exactly are you suggesting I do? I see no solutions in your answer..

by Todd Perchert on Feb 18, 2019 at 4:05:41 pm

Get yourself Handbrake and render it out to a different mp4 file stripping out any alpha channel. I didn't think mp4 even supported alpha channels, which is probably why there is a problem. You can just luma key onto your video, you don't need the alpha.
TC

by Eojin Kim on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:32:43 am

So.. It's a problem with the video itself, I presume?
I've used Handbrake briefly before, but I'm really unexperienced in it. Could you tell me how I would go about stripping out the alpha channel in the video?
(P.S: I have uploaded footage of how the video looks when in AE. Go take a look, it could help I think ^^)

by Eojin Kim on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:41:44 am

CreativeCow sure has a weird way of letting you control your posts... I can't find an "edit" or "delete" button anywhere, so I have to post another reply to post my video..
Here is how the footage looks when imported into AE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTGo-IuYbpI&feature=youtu.be

by Mark Whitney on Feb 19, 2019 at 2:42:42 am

[Eojin Kim] "CreativeCow sure has a weird way of letting you control your posts... I can't find an "edit" or "delete" button anywhere, so I have to post another reply to post my video.."

It is a bit goofy.

Ya, your posted clip is how it looked to me in Premiere. Good news is that running it through Handbrake as suggested & pretty much with the defaults cleared it all up and looks very good in AE.

There was an update to Handbrake which I got, but then it wanted an update to MS Framework to .Net 4.7.2. Just time consuming, but it all worked. Good to know Handbrake is useful other than just process extractions from DVD's & Blurays with MakeMKV.

by Eojin Kim on Feb 19, 2019 at 4:09:17 am

Wow. Who would've known? Simply running the video through Handbrake, WITHOUT ANY ADJUSTMENTS, fixes the video clip in its entirety. Much less laggy, normally viewable on other video programs like WMP. Thank you Mark Whitney and Todd Perchert! :D

© CreativeCOW.net