Adobe After Effects Forum
After Effects Project Downgrader
After Effects Project Downgrader
by Darren Lee on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:03:11 am

Hi, I often use this excellent Premiere Project Downgrader for when i don't have access to latest versions : http://www.joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/

Is there anything similar for After Effects?

I'm using OSX 10.11 on a Mac. AE 2019 is for 10.12 onwards, so I want to downsave the file without having to upgrade my entire system!

Thanks

Re: After Effects Project Downgrader
by Walter Soyka on Jan 7, 2019 at 2:54:33 pm

Sorry, Darren, I'm not aware of any tool that does this for Ae. The AEP project file format is very different than the PRPROJ file format, and I don't think there's a clean way to do what the downgrader does.

If you have a one-off AEP that you need saved down a version or two, I'd be happy to help out.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

by Darren Lee on Jan 8, 2019 at 9:18:01 am

Thanks Walter, I eventually installed a VirtualBox of Sierra to open it, which was not ideal

by Mark Whitney on Jan 7, 2019 at 6:39:40 pm

That's a slick Premiere site that I never new existed.

You might be interested in this:
On aescripts:

https://aescripts.com/pt_opensesame/

It's sole purpose is to exchange AE projects between versions & OS's.

The trial version allows full export; to import requires the license. But, what it exports is a simple, csv text file that you can subsequently open & at least see if has your asset paths, etc. Pretty sure it'll do what your wishing though.

by Darren Lee on Jan 8, 2019 at 9:26:15 am

This is interesting, I don't think I'd pay the $70 though. Shame they don't allow importing in the trial.

Much appreciated.

by Walter Soyka on Jan 8, 2019 at 11:29:27 am

pt_OpenSesame was THE way to handle downsaves before Ae added the feature natively (sometime around CS6 IIRC). It's also still a great way to make all kinds of project changes with a spreadsheet.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would help too much here, as you'd still have to have the newer version in order to open the original AEP.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

by Mark Whitney on Jan 9, 2019 at 12:54:34 am

[Walter Soyka] "
Unfortunately, I don't think it would help too much here, as you'd still have to have the newer version in order to open the original AEP."

Ya, that's always the catch. Couldn't quite tell from the original post if that was the case or not.

© CreativeCOW.net