Adobe After Effects Forum
What is this effect called?
What is this effect called?
by John Beckner on Dec 10, 2018 at 8:08:45 pm

I'm wondering what effect is used to make the background behave like it is in this video:

I assume it's using Trapcode SoundKeys to make the image react to the music, but i can't find any videos or clues on how to do the stretching and warping effect on the background image.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: What is this effect called?
by Walter Soyka on Dec 11, 2018 at 2:18:14 am

You could animate the Bezier Warp effect to get that look.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Re: What is this effect called?
by Matti Kaira on Dec 13, 2018 at 11:19:36 am

Other answers provided here would probably do the trick, but:

One idea would be to have the kind of "net" layer and the image precomped, then add puppet tools pins to some of the intersection points and use the soundkeys output (or just classic audio to keyframes) as a +/- to the pin position.

This could make it seem like the net is actually warping the image. However, the problem is that you would probably either do the effect for most of the intersections or for a few and then also include some kind of an overall distortion as metioned above to sell the effect. If only a few intersections are moving it can look a little underwhelming...

Re: What is this effect called?
by Kalleheikki Kannisto on Dec 15, 2018 at 11:44:24 am

To me it looks like a large-scale turbulent displace where the evolution is driven by cumulative SoundKeys output. The grid and the background colors have been precomposed (or the same exact effect applied to both).

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Re: What is this effect called?
by Mark Doctor on Dec 18, 2018 at 1:20:21 am

I think its a loop were the time remap is driven by the soundkeys. It makes te star explosion also accelerate.

Greets Mark

Re: What is this effect called?
by Joseph Cadwell on Dec 17, 2018 at 11:12:39 pm

You could make something extremely similar to that with Video Copilot's plugin called Twitch.

Video Copilot's Twitch Plugin

Hope this helps!
Joseph Cadwell