Adobe After Effects Forum
Main Purpose of After Effects?
Main Purpose of After Effects?
by Jeff_S on Mar 1, 2006 at 1:04:38 am

Hi, I'm new to the video editing/dvd authoring world. I'm currently using Vegas Video and Adove Encore.

I have a question. I hope this makes sense.

You know when you pop in a dvd movie, and before the menu appears, you maybe see the production logo appear, spin, fade out, etc? I'm wondering how that is done. Or rather, what tool would do something like that. Someone had recommended After Effects to me, so I thought I'd ask here.

Also, what other types of things can be accomplished in After Effects?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Re: Main Purpose of After Effects?
by maverick13 on Mar 1, 2006 at 8:18:47 pm

Visit Adobe's website: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/main.html.
Along the right hand side of that page, near the bottom are some whitepapers on After Effecs. Take a peek. Basically AE is like Photoshop with the added dimension of motion and being able to change a filter's effects over time.

by Jeff_S on Mar 1, 2006 at 8:54:34 pm

Thanks for the response. I've just read the info over at the Adobe site.

I suppose my question now is,is there an advantage of what After Effects could do for me over say the FX in Vegas Video? Thanks for the advice.

Jeff

cowcowcowcowcow
by Jim Kanter on Mar 2, 2006 at 2:49:45 am

Have you asked in the Vegas forum? I'm not familiar with its VFX capabilities.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
www.dfilminst.com

by EVideoM on Mar 3, 2006 at 4:29:21 am

You can do alot of stuff in Vegas that can be done in After Effects, it just matters how much knowledge you have of the NLE. Vegas is a very nice program. In the end though, After Effects will be able to do alot more but your skill level on how to achieve it is another thing.

by Jeff_S on Mar 3, 2006 at 5:11:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty new to video editing, so I'm still trying to grasp exactly what I need to do, and what I'll need to do it. I do know that I'm very eager to learn though. I just dont want to overwhelm myself with too many applications if there are a few that could do the job. I'll definitely look further into After Effects.

Jeff

© CreativeCOW.net