Adobe After Effects Forum
cc radial blur doesn't work in 3d
cc radial blur doesn't work in 3d
by jessica ma on May 18, 2015 at 6:31:45 pm

I watched a tutorial :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXQxwMKh6c

Both mapped cc radial blur center to a 3d null object which is supposed to create a 3d volume light ray effect.

I used the toComp([0,0,0]); expression and hooked it up exactly the same way as the tutorial but the radial blur light still appeared 2d.
(see attached image)

http://s22.postimg.org/vjsjf9y8h/cc_radial_blur_doesnt_work.jpg

why?

Re: cc radial blur doesn't work in 3d
by Cassius Marques on May 18, 2015 at 7:34:31 pm

"...is supposed to create a 3d volume light ray effect"

thats exactly what the tutorial does. It simulates a volumetric light being seen from the front. It's not actually 3d/volumetric.

by jessica ma on May 20, 2015 at 4:44:13 pm

:Cassius Marques

Yes - I KNOW it a simulation /_\ - toComp 2points to 3points maps the 2d pixels to 3d space to simulate the effect of volumetric light. yes yes yes - I understand that.

BUT the image link SHOWS that the SIMULATION doesn't work. Please go thru all the information pertaining to the question. Many thanks

by Darby Edelen on May 21, 2015 at 7:13:06 am

You're viewing a 3D layer with a 2D effect applied that is simulating a 3D effect, so it's not rendering in perspective properly. In addition, the toComp() expression converts a world space point (3d point) to a 2d location in comp space. The effect position is in layer space and not comp space.

If you apply the effect to a comp sized adjustment layer above the 3D layer you should get the results you're after.

Alternatively you could pre-compose the 3D layer with "Leave All Attributes" enabled, go into the pre-comp and enable the 3D layer switch, then go back into the main comp and enable the collapse transformations switch.

Darby Edelen

by jessica ma on May 22, 2015 at 5:13:19 am

:Darby Edelen
Thanks so much - yes adding adjmt layer worked!

what I am still a bit puzzled with is:
a - why did the effect work on the video copilot tutorial - without using the adjumt layer, did something change in the new version of AE?

b - the point about the layer and comp space. are there any links you can provide that explain this in further details?

But many thanks for the helpful tip!

by jessica ma on May 22, 2015 at 5:42:25 am

I looked at a few tutorials about layer space - so in AE - layer space is the equivalent of object space in 3d applications..?

by Darby Edelen on May 22, 2015 at 7:49:42 am

Yes, that's a pretty good analogy.

The anchor point is always in layer space and it's position is either in world space or it's parent's layer space (if it is parented).

I should also confess that the term "layer space" may not be standard. I like to use it to differentiate from world and comp (screen) space but I'm not sure that it's used in official documentation.

Darby Edelen

by Adrian Brindle on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:43:32 pm

Hi
I'm experiencing the same problem that you were in 2015. That is, unlike the Videocopilot tutorial I cannot get the layer to animate blur in 3D space like they did in the tutorial. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
A

by Kalleheikki Kannisto on Mar 7, 2019 at 9:44:01 am

This should answer your question:

[jessica ma] ":Darby Edelen
Thanks so much - yes adding adjmt layer worked! "

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

© CreativeCOW.net