SAN - Storage Area Networks Forum
Avid project & media sharing ...now open sourced!
Avid project & media sharing ...now open sourced!
by alex gardiner on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:30:03 pm

Hello all!

I’m part of a small team that has been working on an open source project that may be of interest.

Its called ‘indiestor’ and it allows multiple editors to share Avid Media Composer projects and media over a network using samba. While this is by no means unique, it is published under the GPL license - which is pretty special :)

Indiestor runs on Ubuntu server or desktop (12.04 LTS) and allows anybody to build their own NAS system for collaborative editing. The tool takes care of everything from the management of volumes, groups and users (homes, passwords, quotas), to the triggering of shared projects. All you have to do is choose the appropriate hardware to suit your site or project!

Installation documentation can be found at indiestor.com, alongside our package repository and links to the source code on our github page.

We’d be delighted to hear your thoughts or comments.

alex@indiestor.com

Re: Avid project & media sharing ...now open sourced!
by Simon Blackledge on Jan 10, 2013 at 8:37:43 am

Very neat :)

Whats the new gui like. All thats needed to setup and share etc ?When is it due?

Probably be moving from fcp7 to Avid this year so very interesting!

Any downsides?

S

by alex gardiner on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:07:26 pm

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.

The web GUI is in development, but is functionally no different to the CLI :)

It probably goes without saying, both are simply ways to manage the server and can be accessed remotely from anywhere on your network.

In short they don't effect the editors experience :)

As it stands indiestor should work out of the box with very little additional learning or configuration required.

ETA wise we've not set a date for the GUI. At a push I expect we could complete it in a couple of weeks. However, since our team is small we're conserving our resources and watching as new users join in.

As for the transition from FCP7 to MC, I think folks can find it tough at first. I think its got a lot to do with expectations. I've always used both and will probably continue to do so :)

by Ivan Radovanovic on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:20:32 pm

Fantastic!
If it runs on Ubuntu server I suppose it will run on Debian (stable) too? I'm asking because combination of Indiestor and OpenMediaVault (http://openmediavault.org , based on Debian stable) would be great choice.

http://twitter.com/#!/disample_dcc

by alex gardiner on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:40:51 pm

Hi Ivan.

You hit the nail on the head! We went with Ubuntu as a very popular Debian based OS.

Essentially indiestor should behave on Debian like it does on Ubuntu Desktop/Server.

EDIT: We'll need to update the DEB package manifest for plain Debian, let me come back to you on this :)

by Ervin Tia on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:32:20 am

KUMUSTA! shout out from Philippines!

I'm not an IT guy but will definitely appreciate this tool. For years now, we're still stumbling with the proper project-sharing method. We're still tied-up to external drives and office network system.

More power!

----------
Ervz | Video Productions | WMC-AP, Philipines
System 1: Mac Pro/8-Core/10 GB/OSX 10.6.8
Avid MC/Adobe CS6
System 2: Windows XP Pro, SP3 / 4 Gig / Intel

https://vimeo.com/ervzman/videos

by alex gardiner on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:45:30 am

Hey Ervin!

Contrary to what a lot of folks might say, you don't need to be an IT guy to make this stuff work. Sure it helps and you're unlikely to be breaking any speed records... but thats not what we're here to do.

I'd test this all out on an old machine or laptop. From there go by building a small system.

Mail me if you need to know anything :)

alex@indiestor.com

© CreativeCOW.net