Panasonic Cameras Forum
Low light with HMC150
Low light with HMC150
by Jeff Miller on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:18:06 pm

In December I will be shooting a dance recital with my HMC150 and of course there will be a fair amount of low light scenes. I am looking for good general settings to record the event. I also have the problem of the dance studios use of red lighting...they use it a lot. Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be really helpful.

I faintly recall finding a camera filter in the past that would help with red colored lighting, but I can not find anything about it now. Anybody have any ideas or if there is such a thing?

Re: Low light with HMC150
by Noah Kadner on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:11:28 pm

I wouldn't use a filter- that will only knock down the light levels more and you can correct for it in post. Just white balance properly.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Re: Low light with HMC150
by Rick Foxx on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:47:01 pm

I shot a half dozen recitals this last spring with the HMC alongside a DVX100A and a Canon A1. The HMC is a couple of stops darker than my DVX, but it was plenty bright for every recital. The A1 was another couple of stops darker than the HMC, but I was able to push the levels in post and it still looked ok.

The colors matched up pretty well between the DVX and the HMC, although I did make some minor color tweaks in post.

I\'m happy enough with the performance of the HMC that I\'m planning to buy 2 more next spring.

© CreativeCOW.net