Panasonic Cameras Forum
How Much Money...to set it all up
How Much Money...to set it all up
by Arty Gold on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:35:51 pm

i have a generic question and i searched and i did some math
but i guess before we actually do this i wanted to know if we are correct.

we do anything from marketing videos to 3 hour conferences
if we chose to go hd with the hvx-200's
what would be the appropriate setup and roughly how much would we be talking to up grade here ?
(by the way we already have one hvx-200)
but we have been really poor about trully converting.

we also have a firestore that's been nothing but a disaster and we are afraid to use it...so the p2 cards seem to be the way to go ?

i'm babbling because we are kind of trying to figure out just what equipment we need and how much it'll cost

thanks

Re: How Much Money...to set it all up
by Steve Eisen on Mar 13, 2009 at 12:14:43 am

Your question is a little more than generic. Prices are all over the internet. I'm no mathematician, but I can add the numbers.

Make an itemized list of all the equipment you will need. Cameras, tripods, batteries, P2 cards, lights, microphones, computer, RAM, hard drives, etc... Do your research.

If you do it the right way and not the cheap, I'm just trying to get by, you are looking at $15,000+. You wouldn't want to cheat your clients.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

by Arty Gold on Mar 13, 2009 at 12:20:12 am

thank you !
that's a perfect answer...i did the math and it's right in that range...
i thought my partner was going to have a cow...(a creative cow!)

but i think i did it right...

thanks so much

by Dan Brockett on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:53:45 am

Arty:

Here is something to consider. The time is ripe right now for scoring some amazing deals on used HVX-200s, if you think that is the camera for your needs. I have seen clean ones with less than 200 P2 hours and no tape hours on them go for under $2,200.00.

Also keep in mind that if you are going to be doing available/crappy lighting types of events that are basically not professionally lit, the HVX-200 is not your best candidate.

Good luck,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

by Arty Gold on Mar 13, 2009 at 11:07:43 am

thanks dan...

that's actually been one of our concerns....
we took alot of time to train ourselves on good lighting techniques and have invested in our share of lights

as we've been asked to do more and more "live" events that we do not have control of the lighting we have noticed that the hvx-200 is not producing that great under these conditions...

that being said...is there an hd-camera that would perform better.

by Dan Brockett on Mar 13, 2009 at 1:46:19 pm

Hi:

Sure, there are a lot of cameras that will work much better. Unfortunately all of them are out of your price range, at least in the sense of low light response. Any 2/3" camera will blow away any of the sub $10k camcorders in low light response by the sheer size and light gathering ability of their larger pixels.

Both the Sony EX1 and the Panasonic HPX170 better the HVX200 in low light ability but only by about .5 stop and both still pale in comparison to cameras like the HPX500, 2000, 2700 or 3700 in low light ability with less noise. You cannot get around the physics that larger sensors are more sensitive to light with less noise.

Either the 170 or EX1 are also superior if you go into live switching as both feature SDI output which is vastly superior to the HVX's analog component and FW only output as far as live switching. While there are FW switchers, the best switchers use HD SDI.

Another avenue to explore might be the Panasonic HMC150, if you need a small, cheap and simple switched setup. The HMC150 features HDMI output and there are cheap and simple options for switching with HDMI using the BlackMagic Design cards and several other methods with carious combinations of computer, software and cards.

Dan
p

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

© CreativeCOW.net