Panasonic Cameras Forum
Only get audio on Log & Transfer - no picture
Only get audio on Log & Transfer - no picture
by D. Scott Dobbie on Feb 15, 2009 at 8:30:32 pm

My client is now in Florida - I'm in L.A. He was out here for a shoot last week where I used my HVX-200. I transferred the footage from the P2 cards, using the PCMCIA slot of my PowerMac G4, onto his firewire 800 drive with a backup onto my firewire 800 drive. The equivalent of eight 8GB cards. I also confirmed that the byte count was exactly the same for the Contents folder after each transfer. All footage was shot 720p/24pN.

All the "cards" are visible to him except one. Using FCP, he initiates a Log & Transfer. But he says he only gets audio - no video, from any of the 27 clips on that card. All the other cards transferred fine for him.

I checked my backup version and fortunately everything's great.

My workaround will be to burn that folder of the P2 card onto 2 data DVD's and Fedex those to him. But I wanted to check to see if anyone had any suggestions - anything I'm overlooking - before I take the time and expense for the burn and ship. Similarly, I want to be prepared should anything like this ever happen to me.

Thanks!

-Scott

Re: Only get audio on Log & Transfer - no picture
by Jeremy Garchow on Feb 16, 2009 at 2:05:06 am

Sounds like the video folder didn't get copied over.

Buy Shotput Pro. It's worth the money so you don't have to worry about the transfer.

Jeremy

by D. Scott Dobbie on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:42:53 am

Thanks, Jeremy. That's what I thought at first, but it was there. The full file size transferred.

He answered some questions I posed in an email and said he was unable to open the file in Log & Transfer. Which is odd, since earlier he said he had audio but no video...

As for Shotput Pro, I've got it. But the first time I used it (a couple months ago) it didn't work correctly and showed several errors, so I went back to my manual system. I need to play with that a little bit to be sure I know how to use it properly - it's apparently not as intuitive as I thought.

In any case, I'll just shoot my client a couple data DVD's.

Thanks again,

-Scott

by Steve Eisen on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:34:05 pm

Shotput is very straight forward. There is no learning curve.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

by D. Scott Dobbie on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:45:36 pm

And ya'know, Steve, that's exactly what I thought.

However, I saw a slew of red errors all stating something along the lines of, "Unable to transfer 'whatever'," or "File 'xyz' didn't copy properly."

So, something didn't happen the way it was supposed to. I just need to take a moment, away from the eyes of any client, and figure out what that was.

-Scott

by D. Scott Dobbie on Mar 13, 2009 at 11:39:03 pm

A late addendum with the answer:

Just in case anyone refers back to this thread, I discovered the problem with the inability to perform a Log & Transfer on a folder that contained both a Contents folder and a LASTCLIP.txt file.

My client was back in town for another shoot, so I asked him to bring his hard drive so I could check it out.

Seems that the LASTCLIP.txt file was blank. Nothing was on it. I looked at the created and modified dates and they were the same as when I copied the original P2 card onto his drive, so I don't believe anyone erased the actual text in error. It appears to have just not copied - very weird. Fortunately my safety version copied and all was good. But I've never heard of that happening.

FWIW, I've also now used Shotput Pro. Faster than copying through the Finder. Insanely easy and efficient. Don't know why I had that glitch I had reported earlier.

Thanks!

© CreativeCOW.net