Panasonic Cameras Forum
HpX170P Import P2 log and transfer/SDHC Cards
HpX170P Import P2 log and transfer/SDHC Cards
by jarrod Allen on Oct 13, 2008 at 9:56:06 pm

I just purchased the HPX170P. My old camera was a VX2100 so you can see a huge leap in quality here.

The instruction manual is not very helpful and i can find any forums for this camera yet so my questions are;

Can the HPX170P record to the SCHC Card?
i formated it but i don't see an option to select it as a source of space to record to.

While using log and transfer in FCP Studio 2 the 720p footage would not play smoothly. it studdars durring play back so i cant view the footage i want to log.
The P2 card currently has 720p and 480i footage on it. could that be messing with my system?

i am self taught through google basically so im not to sharp so i hope someone can help me.

thank you.

Re: HpX170P Import P2 log and transfer/SDHC Cards
by Shane Ross on Oct 14, 2008 at 1:00:05 am

[jarrod Allen] "Can the HPX170P record to the SCHC Card? "

No. This camera records to P2 cards only. For a camera that records to the flash cards, you need to look at the HC150...that records in the AVCHD format to those cards.

[jarrod Allen] "While using log and transfer in FCP Studio 2 the 720p footage would not play smoothly. it studdars durring play back so i cant view the footage i want to log. "

Depending on the speed of the drive you are playing it back from, this will occur. This interface is merely for seeing what you have.

[jarrod Allen] "The P2 card currently has 720p and 480i footage on it. could that be messing with my system?"

Nope. Only when you go to mix the formats. Then, if the frame rates differ, you can have issues.

Self taught eh? Look at this tutorial:

P2 Workflow with FCP 6

But bear in mind it is a little old so information is inaccurate. Dragging the card contents via the Finder is now a big no no...as files can get lost or corrupt (something I figured out after the tutorial was made), so you need to use offloading software like P2CMS or SHOTPUT P2.

And read Barry's book that came with the camera.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

by jarrod Allen on Oct 14, 2008 at 1:38:21 am

well i already bought this camera. and i do love it. its amazing..

ill take a look at that link to the "P2 FCP" stuff.

?so do you know how that sdhc card is used. there is a brief description about scene files but it doesnt explain anything one how to use it or what its good for?

thanks again. this site is awesome. i learned a lot from it so far.
j.

by Shane Ross on Oct 14, 2008 at 2:55:18 am

You can upload metadata to it that you can then load into the camera, stuff like SHOOTER, LOCATION, STORY, SCENE, TAKE. Look at the METADATA workflow here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/white-papers.asp

In fact, look at a LOT of those white papers. And yes, you can also upload scene files and stuff that can create looks with your camera.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

© CreativeCOW.net