Panasonic Cameras Forum
P2 card reader via firewire
P2 card reader via firewire
by Peter Roof on Sep 26, 2008 at 2:47:36 am

Has anyone found or built a solution to read P2 cards without the PCMCIA or PCMCIA Express slot? My Apple laptop has neither. Spending more than the laptop to get a reader from Panasonic does not seem like a solution I want to explore at the moment. Initial Google research has led me to a pair of products from WiebeTech that can receive a PC Card (same as P2?) and output to Firewire 400. Total cost would be around $250. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you,

-pete

Re: P2 card reader via firewire
by Steve Eisen on Sep 26, 2008 at 2:21:19 pm

You can always connect your camera via firewire or USB, if available.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

by Peter Roof on Sep 26, 2008 at 2:35:01 pm

Using the camera is an option for transferring material after the shoot. I need to find a reader to mount, transfer, and clear cards DURING the shoot. This seems like something simple but I can't find any solutions. Thanks for your feedback.

by Noah Kadner on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:33:18 pm

There's nothing I've seen that's cheap and ready to go yet. If you are able to spend 2K you get the P2 Drive from Panasonic. Otherwise I recommend a cheap PC or used Powerbook with PCMCIA slot.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

by Rachel Lears on Sep 26, 2008 at 6:11:58 pm

There's also this:
http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

Haven't tried it but I'm looking for something similar.

by Matthew Romanis on Sep 27, 2008 at 11:11:58 pm

Hi Peter,
Is your Mac laptop an Air or an iBook?
Have you considered the Panasonic AJ-PCD 10 (usb support)? There may be some cheap ones around because people wanted the FW800 support instead.

by Peter Roof on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:33:50 pm

MacBook (not Pro).

by Tom Klein on Sep 28, 2008 at 11:38:52 am

Hello Peter,

"WiebeTech", I sent them a few emails with some similar questions, that was months ago, they don't respond to questions, sad reality these days with most companies.
Cheers
Tom K

© CreativeCOW.net