Maxon Cinema 4D Forum
children don't follow null object
children don't follow null object
by Bruce Gaber on Jan 20, 2020 at 11:44:09 pm

I'm sure there is a very simple solution, but all of a sudden the objects grouped within a null do not follow that null; only the null point is transformed. I get where this behavior could be useful, so I suspect I've fallen into some setting that I don't understand. In fact nothing follows its parent. Deformers seem to be uncoupled from their parent objects. To move them I have to select both object and deformers, not the null to which they belong. Yes, I've raised teenagers and seen this behavior, but never in C4D.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Gaber

OSX High Sierra 10.14.6
iMac 27\" late 2019
3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB
DR 16.1
AE 17.0.0
C4D R21

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason

Re: children don't follow null object
by Brian Jones on Jan 21, 2020 at 3:31:56 am

Sounds like the Enable Axis tool has been engaged - that allows that kind of action (which is as you presumed very useful) - the shortcut is "L" so it is easy to accidentally do (and turn off)

by John Williams on Jan 21, 2020 at 9:46:18 am

Failing Brian's suggestion to Disable to 'Axis' tool, you could always you a 'Constraint Tag' to parent one object to another (or to a Null) with the power to select what specific transform properties you want to inherit to the objects. (This can be helpful as it offers more control and helps out when objects are influenced by other factors like Xpresso and MoGraph...)

Best, John

John Williams

Soho Editors

by Bruce Gaber on Jan 21, 2020 at 3:14:43 pm

What the "L"! That did the trick, thanks to both Brian & John

Bruce

Bruce Gaber

OSX High Sierra 10.14.6
iMac 27" late 2019
3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4