Maxon Cinema 4D Forum
Children of a TAPER'D parent? (R17)
Children of a TAPER'D parent? (R17)
by Eric Chard on Aug 7, 2019 at 2:12:34 am

I'm (attempting to) model a simple turntable object. The platter (a Cylinder primitive) has a standard taper such that the top is narrower than the bottom.

The TAPER modifier is a child of the platter. I'd like to make another cylinder, quite flat, to act as the rubber mat on top of the platter. I'd like this mat to be a child of the platter, but (to my surprise) it is affected by the Taper modifier even though it is below the modifier in the Object Manager. (I was thinking for some reason that modifiers only affect their immediate Parents.)

How does one get a child of an object to ignore modifiers that are applied to the parent object?

Thanks.
13610_c4dtaperorder.png.zip

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Re: Children of a TAPER'D parent? (R17)
by Jim Scott on Aug 7, 2019 at 2:46:49 am

From the Help files - Deformer Object:

"The deformer will affect its parent object and the hierarchy below that parent. This means that a deformer will affect any object at its level in the hierarchy (since those objects are children of the deformer’s parent) and any object below the deformer’s level in the hierarchy (since those objects are in the hierarchy of the deformer’s parent). However, a deformer will have no affect if it is positioned at the top level of the Object Manager hierarchy, since it will have no parent."

Assuming that you want to rotate the platter and mat together, simply place them all in a null as shown below, and rotate the null.

or

Whoops
by Jim Scott on Aug 7, 2019 at 2:52:15 am

This should have been the first example:

by Brian Jones on Aug 7, 2019 at 4:53:50 am

another possibility is the Stop Tag

by Eric Chard on Aug 7, 2019 at 3:15:16 pm

I prefer this final solution, as I find the "use a null" solution to be lame-ish, since it requires me to remember to manipulate something other than the actual object to achieve motion.

Thanks for the Stop tag, didn't know it existed.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

© CreativeCOW.net