Demo Reels Forum
Dodgy Reel?
Dodgy Reel?
by Paul Hawkridge on Jul 10, 2008 at 11:41:28 am

Hi there,

I know this reel is way too long, but right now I'm really not sure the whole structure and idea I used was right/any good and was thinking of abandoning it.

Could someone please give me some thoughts before I make my decision.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul Hawkridge ShowReel Draft from PaulHawkridge on Vimeo.

Re: Dodgy Reel?
by Rory Brennan on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:25:11 pm

What exactly are you trying to pitch yourself as??

A Production Company??
A Post Production Company??
Editor??
GFX??

The reel feels like covering too much without showing anything with enough style or depth. Corporate stuff for instance always damages the quality of a reel because the shots are so stock. May a specific corporate reel.
The films and performance sections didn't highlight any editing ability, so make a specific editing reel.

You have the content to create a few different options that you can pitch at different audiences, but in the current state, it is too long and too little.

RB

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

by George Loch on Jul 16, 2008 at 7:49:39 pm

Basically the same questions as Roy, what are you after with this reel? If it's a mograph reel then you need to chop it a lot and think about adding some stronger type treatments into it.

-gl

Prologue Media
www.prologuemedia.com

by Del Holford on Jul 16, 2008 at 9:12:54 pm

and spell "corporate" correctly.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

by ron dejoseph on Jul 17, 2008 at 1:22:11 pm

Del!

Thanks...do we know each other? How'd you know about the Emmy's? Did we meet during a judging over there? I was so shocked and sorry to hear about Stewart...tragic.

by Del Holford on Jul 17, 2008 at 3:32:58 pm

Hi Ron

We judged Emmy entries with Stuart several years ago now. I had just come here when Dave Wooten left there. While I talked to Ron Shuping about the position, what I do here was a lot more interesting to me and I've been here now for 18 years this November. I'm the big old guy who gets to do documentaries (18 with Steve Crump - "9/4/57" about Dorothy Counts being one last year) and the occasional promo and commercial ("funder" in PTV speak). Currently we're finishing up another Crump-umentary hour on "Sacks of Hope" that Forest Hill Church and Samaritan's Purse were involved in giving out in south Sudan in March.

I headed up Emmy judging for historical and cultural documentaries the year after Stuart died but missed this year because I was just too busy with my father-in-law dying of cancer and other projects going on. If you are interested in judging I'll put your number on my list. Geneva is a sweetheart and gets a lot done for the chapter.

Take care.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

by Brendan Coots on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:26:23 am

What really stands out to me is that the running theme is a pretty obvious take on the Apple OSX installation video. If you don't know what I'm referring to and there's absolutely no connection there, consider applying for a job at Apple marketing. If it IS a take on that piece, no biggie but people might ding you for lack of originality.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

www.splitvisiondigital.com

© CreativeCOW.net