Adobe Encore DVD Forum
Encore Buttons over video timeline?
Encore Buttons over video timeline?
by Eric West on May 12, 2020 at 9:52:36 pm

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I'm trying to do?

It is essentially creating an Audio Blu Ray with Encore. (The music is the important part, not the video). I'd like to be able to play either high resolution or surround audio, and have the song titles (buttons) appear the entire time, over the audio.

I currently have a (less important) video track playing as the video portion of the timeline. I have chapter markers for where the different songs are in the timeline, but as a listener, I would think you would want to always see the chapters (songs), and be able to switch to a different song (chapter) at any point. The only way I can think of doing this would be to always display buttons (for song chapter markers) on top of a video timeline, but I don't think that's possible? You could do it with a pop up menu, but I would need the pop up menu to always be there, and not optional. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Encore Buttons over video timeline?
by Jeff Bellune on May 13, 2020 at 2:06:26 am

A true Blu-Ray Audio disc would have to be authored by Sony BluPrint, Sonic Scenarist, DoStudio or some other really high-dollar pro app.

I haven't used Encore more than casually in forever because my clients have all wanted streaming video or flash drive delivery, but you could try making the video part of a menu background, with buttons that link to other menus that contain videos and audio of the other tracks. The disc would consist of nothing but a series of menus.

I don't remember what audio formats are available for menu audio, so that could be an issue as well. Even if Hi-Res Audio and surround are supported on menu audio, the menu mapping could get out of control quickly.

But at least your audience would have working buttons that could take them to other tracks and maybe to other audio formats (DTS, Dolby, Lossless, Stereo, Surround, etc.)

by Eric West on May 13, 2020 at 3:06:20 am

>>but you could try making the video part of a menu background, with buttons that link to other menus that contain videos and audio of the other tracks. The disc would consist of nothing but a series of menus.

That's where I'm at now. On DVD Studio Pro, you could make a subtitle track with text (for a menu), and then just draw around the words for buttons, and have that go to different places in the timeline, but I can't figure out that Encore could do something similar?

by Jeff Bellune on May 13, 2020 at 11:19:14 am

I don’t think Encore ever implemented buttons-over-video.

The problem with DVD Studio Pro’ s implementations of certain features like that was that they were not DVD-spec compliant and thus replication masters couldn’t be made. That was a big problem for professional authors 15 years ago. Kind of moot now, though. 😀

Cheers,
Jeff

by Stan Jones on May 13, 2020 at 12:24:36 pm

Isn't that the point of the blu-ray popup menu? You use the remote popup button.

I don't recall if the popup stays on until you click to remove it, or whether that is a player feature.

Stan Jones

And lookee there! The virtual Jeff Bellune. I miss you!

by Jeff Bellune on May 13, 2020 at 1:08:57 pm

Hey Stan! I miss you too! 😀

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

© CreativeCOW.net