Adobe Encore DVD Forum
Encore and DLT Mastering
Encore and DLT Mastering
by Roger Miller on May 18, 2005 at 12:33:02 pm

I just purchased Encore 1.5 and immediately updated it to the latest build yesterday. I bought it to be able to add CSS encrytion and master to my Quantum DLT 4000. My former authoring package - DVD-Lab does not have these features (very nice package, by the way, just missing the two things I happen to need for replication). I have 2 shows going into replication.

I'm simply looking for reassurance of what is being written on the to the DLT. I've burned test disks (without CSS) and they work perfectly and they passed the Encore disk check. So I add in the CSS and go to build a master on DLT. The software finds the drive and writes merrily away onto it showing the progress as it goes and gives me a 'completed' when done.

All I want is to be able to somehow see a directory of the file(s) that have been put on the DLT with the usual file size, date, etc. Simple reassurance is what I'm looking for. I can't find a way to have Encore tell me (other than 'completed') that information has gone to the tape, let alone what information, volume, etc.

The drive has been checked with Quantum's xTalk diagnostic and pronounced healthy. I've written to this DLT from Windows XP Backup and could see those results there. I thought to use Backup (and Recovery) to look at volumes put in by Encore and in once instance it saw 'unrecognized' media added, but no other information (Backup politely offered to erase it for me) On the other tape it did not see anything. I was hoping for consistency, if not actual data.

Are there any simple utilities available to look at tape volumes and say what's on them? Am I missing something simple and basic? (I'm a big believer in checking pilot error as well as gear) If I'm right about not finding a DLT read-feature, why doesn't Encore have a means to affirm what is put on the DLT? (Files, volume, date, size, etc.)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards,

Roger Miller
REM Video & Event Company
Minneapolis

Re: Encore and DLT Mastering
by Alex Alexzander on May 18, 2005 at 12:45:47 pm

Hi Roger,

I really like DVDLab-Pro myself. If you really want to write to a DLT and keep using DVDLab-Pro, you can Gear Pro Mastering Edition version 7. This will allow you go from DVDLab to DLT, plus set the CSS flag.

Gear will also allow you to transfer the tape image to your hard drive. You will the three files that make up a DLT that way. Main.DAT, DDPID, and Control. I believe those are the files. I forget now.

DVD Studio Pro actually has a neat feature called "READ DLT", which will read the DLT and transfer the files back to the hard drive as a working VIDEO_TS folder that can be played with a software DVD player. I have not tried it with CSS flagged DLTs though.

Still, if all you want to do is see if the files are there, that would work.

Another util I use is called TapeCopy 2.1 from NovStore. That has a function to allow you to see what files are on the tape, plus it makes backups of DLTs if you have 2 or more DLT drives.

Gear is $400, and TapeCopy is $400. DVDSP is $500 and requires a Mac.

-Alex

by Roger Miller on May 18, 2005 at 3:23:53 pm

Alex,

Thanks for the post. I downloaded Gear DVD Mastering and it has the tape functions grayed out in demo mode. This is a bit of a bummer as I would like to evaluate that particular function. I'm somewhat forced to send in the Encore-written DLT's and see what the replication house can read. If all is fine the project goes out. If all isn't fine, then I continue my quest in the meantime.

It just seems odd that I can't see what is on the tape via Encore. This seems to be a serious flaw in the software for producers who are going to replication.

Roger Miller
REM Video & Event Company
Minneapolis

by Alex Alexzander on May 18, 2005 at 3:40:30 pm

The Demo of Gear will read the DLT tape.

Choose the Mastering Menu Option, then Select Restore Tape Files.

This will take a while, but you will be left with the image file, the control file, and the DDPID file on your hard drive from the tape.

-Alex

by Roger Miller on May 18, 2005 at 10:01:12 pm

Alex,

Thanks for the input. I think I'm a bit dizzy from too many quick learning curves in too little time...

Roger Miller

© CreativeCOW.net